1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

last egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kjk66ss, Jan 7, 2012.

1. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    [​IMG] picture ishard to tell but any idea why the membrane is white like that? he is alive and breathing inside and he is on day 23. if he was shrink wrapped wouldnt he not be able to breather? is it because he is not ready ?

2. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    He looks to be shrink wrapped. Whether you decide to help him out is up to you. Everybody has differing opinions on helping. If no veins are visible,maybe try making a small hole where his beak is?

3. kjk66ss

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    their are lots of veins,i take it the veins still filled with blood mean that it is just not ready yet?

4. kjk66ss

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    is it possible that the since the chick was rolled around a whole bunch by the other chick that hatched that he is facing down and is to big to move where the opening is?i also peeled back some more of the shell just where the air cell is and just from a small piece of shell hitting the membrane caused a Small spec of blood.

he is breathing and once in a while moves the egg a lot but not sure if he is shrink wrapped and cant break the membrane or is he just not ready.

5. kjk66ss

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    except for taking it out for less then a minute to peel some of the shell the humidity has been at 78% since day 18

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by