Last hen remaining from flock - Need some urgent advice please šŸ™

Goodbettabest

Hatching
Jun 23, 2023
Hi everyone,
I have a big conundrum and would really appreciate some advice from experienced keepers.
I started with a flock of 3 hens, one died 6 months ago and the second died earlier this week leaving just one girl remaining. She is a real pet, comes when she is called and loves human companionship however I know that they do best when in a flock and she misses her friends. I wanted to get a couple more friends for her but my husband has put his foot down and said no more so I am left not knowing what to do. He is pressuring me to rehome her and I know that is probably what is best for her but it breaks my heart and I don't want to give her to someone who will just throw her in with their existing flock. I want someone who will properly and slowly introduce her. The only person I know who I can trust her with is my mother who lives in another state. My question is, has anyone ever sent a chicken on a plane before and how did it go? The plane ride would be 2.5hrs long plus the time at the airport and then a 3 hour drive from the airport to my mum's place. Animals are put in a separate compartment than people on the plane also. I really don't want to stress her out by putting her on a plane but I want to know that she will be looked after and my mum is the only person i know who will take care of her the way I have. If that is not a good option does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

Welcome to BYC!
Boy, thatā€™s a tough spot youā€™re in.
You are correct that chicken do best in a flock, generally 3 or more.
Putting a chicken on a plane may be way too much stress in a bird that is already stressed from losing another flock-mate.
Personally I would not do it.
Can you check with other chicken folks around your area? It is ok to screen potential takers. Many experienced and caring chicken ppl will know to quarantine new chickens for a few weeks then integrate in a manner that is safe for the newcomer and the resident flock. You can educate others on the process if it helps ease your mind, but to answer your question directly, no, air travel is not recommended.

Oh how sad! Surely there is someone here on the forum nearby who will be able to take her in. I agree a plane ride with all the commotion involved would probably stress her out too much. Let us all know your general location in case you are nearby one of the members here.

Oh how sad! Surely there is someone here on the forum nearby who will be able to take her in. I agree a plane ride with all the commotion involved would probably stress her out too much. Let us all know your general location in case you are nearby one of the members here.
Thank you so much for you kindness. I am in Australia, North Queensland. A bit North of Townsville. If there is anyone on the forum who lives nearby and would like to give her a lovely new home I would love to hear from them.

Welcome to BYC!
Boy, thatā€™s a tough spot youā€™re in.
You are correct that chicken do best in a flock, generally 3 or more.
Putting a chicken on a plane may be way too much stress in a bird that is already stressed from losing another flock-mate.
Personally I would not do it.
Can you check with other chicken folks around your area? It is ok to screen potential takers. Many experienced and caring chicken ppl will know to quarantine new chickens for a few weeks then integrate in a manner that is safe for the newcomer and the resident flock. You can educate others on the process if it helps ease your mind, but to answer your question directly, no, air travel is not recommended.
Thank you so much for your reply, i so appreciate it! I thought that perhaps the stress of a plane ride and then a nice easy transition at the end of it may outweigh the potential stress of her being improperly introduced to a new flock locally but I was hesitant about the plane transport in any case so I think i can rule that option out now.
She isn't currently laying even though she is only 2 years old. She hasn't laid an egg since her first flockmate died 6 months ago. Both the remaining girls stopped laying at that time. She has also been molting recently so the poor little thing has had a rough time. She seems ok at the moment, still eating etc but she hides under the house a lot and only comes out when she hears me go outside so I know i really need to find her some friends as soon as I can.

I think you need to keep her and re-home your husband. What's the problem with keeping a couple of hens, especially when you care a lot about them? I know this is not helpful but it bothers me when people get like that.

What I would recommend is looking around for a good new home in your area. Look at the adverts in places like Craigslist, or go to feed stores and ask around. It is perfectly okay to ask a potential new owner questions, and to wait to pick the home that feels right.

Here is one thread where you might place a message about her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australians-unite.1582692/

And here is the forum for re-homing animals https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

I'm sorry you have to go through this and hope it works out.

Hi everyone,
I have a big conundrum and would really appreciate some advice from experienced keepers.
I started with a flock of 3 hens, one died 6 months ago and the second died earlier this week leaving just one girl remaining. She is a real pet, comes when she is called and loves human companionship however I know that they do best when in a flock and she misses her friends. I wanted to get a couple more friends for her but my husband has put his foot down and said no more so I am left not knowing what to do. He is pressuring me to rehome her and I know that is probably what is best for her but it breaks my heart and I don't want to give her to someone who will just throw her in with their existing flock. I want someone who will properly and slowly introduce her. The only person I know who I can trust her with is my mother who lives in another state. My question is, has anyone ever sent a chicken on a plane before and how did it go? The plane ride would be 2.5hrs long plus the time at the airport and then a 3 hour drive from the airport to my mum's place. Animals are put in a separate compartment than people on the plane also. I really don't want to stress her out by putting her on a plane but I want to know that she will be looked after and my mum is the only person i know who will take care of her the way I have. If that is not a good option does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance!
I m in north NSW to far to pick her up.
I do fly my bird all time to WA and all the other state as long as some one can pick them up from the airport . Easy on the bird better than road transport .
I do give the chooks I can t sale to a pet shop where I buy my animal feed they usually find home for them .
Ask around your area
Chooks man

I think you need to keep her and re-home your husband. What's the problem with keeping a couple of hens, especially when you care a lot about them? I know this is not helpful but it bothers me when people get like that.

What I would recommend is looking around for a good new home in your area. Look at the adverts in places like Craigslist, or go to feed stores and ask around. It is perfectly okay to ask a potential new owner questions, and to wait to pick the home that feels right.

Here is one thread where you might place a message about her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australians-unite.1582692/

And here is the forum for re-homing animals https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

I'm sorry you have to go through this and hope it works out.
Thank you so much for your reply and for the links you provided, i really appreciate it. I have a friend who is taking me today to see the people who she buys her eggs from to see if they would be able to give her a home. I am hoping it all works out well and they will be able to provide her with a safe new home but if not, I will be reaching out via the forums you suggested.
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom