Last Resort - Dying Hen

Abrown29360

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2023
Hello,
My hen Henrietta went down last Saturday. I immediately brought her in the house. She has been unable to stand or walk since then. No visible signs of trauma, no visible bugs, her legs look fine. I’ve done two injections of Liquamycin, warm baths, Ivermection pour on (on her back), B12, syringe electrolyte / vitamin feedings and she still will not walk and refuses to eat any food (chick crumbles both wet and dry and wet cat food). The plan is to humanely euthanize her today, but I just wanted to stop by here and get your thoughts.
D66096FD-9F11-4174-AA36-253B470EB6F7.jpeg

So sorry to hear that about your hen, hope you find a solution quickly :hugs Did she act normally up till that point? Is there any chance she's egg bound?
She was fine the day before. I’ve given her two baths and probed her vent and belly both times. I did not feel anything “egg-like”. She is still passing stool just fine, albeit runny from not having solids in a week.

Hello,
My hen Henrietta went down last Saturday. I immediately brought her in the house. She has been unable to stand or walk since then. No visible signs of trauma, no visible bugs, her legs look fine. I’ve done two injections of Liquamycin, warm baths, Ivermection pour on (on her back), B12, syringe electrolyte / vitamin feedings and she still will not walk and refuses to eat any food (chick crumbles both wet and dry and wet cat food). The plan is to humanely euthanize her today, but I just wanted to stop by here and get your thoughts.View attachment 3389762
Im sorry to hear this. I hope we can get some ideas and find some hope for her. When did she last lay? How old is she?
Does her abdomen feel normal?

Sorry to read about your hen.How old is your hen? Has she been laying eggs recently? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Sometimes it is hard to know what is going on until you have treated for a few possible problems, and tried to keep her fed and watered. A necropsy if you can do one at home may shed some light on her problem if you put her down. B complex vitamins are better than giving just B 12 since they contain all of the B vitamins including riboflavin, and B 12. Riboflavin deficiency can cause lameness. A chicken sling may be helpful to get her up and in a better position to eat.

Back
Top Bottom