last straw with my boxer

I've always kept dogs. I also have horses and chickens. Since I don't want my dogs rolling in fresh horse "apples" or snacking on chicken poo, I built them a dog yard. It's about 60 x 80 and they are completely safe there. In the middle of the night when they decide they want out, I just open the door, secure in the knowledge that I am not going to have to chase them in the dark just because they discovered a rabbit or a deer. Saves me LOTS of aggravation. I consider the money for the dog yard to be bucks very well spent.

Maybe THAT's what you need?

big_smile.png

Quote:
and who would pay the vet bill if the dog ate that really disgusting thing that bound him up and he needed surgery? My sisters dog ate an entire black trash bag, and most of its contents, you can imagine that didnt make it far along the intestinal tract before getting all wrapped up and painful. 400.00 surgery later..... she is fine.

If he isnt part of the training, cleaning, or finances of the dog, how is he the owner and decider of your responsibilities? I know he is your son, but that doesnt make him responsible for assigning your chores.

I dont think you have a bad dog, just a typical dog, (possibly a bored dog?) But I do think you have a 'child in charge', and that may be more of the real issue?

Good luck! and keep an I on your pup, Bloat can kill in just a few hours,
sad.png

My husband and I have often joked that we could market a chicken-poo treat for dogs since so many seem to love chicken poop. Our dog follows the chickens around waiting for them to leave him "snacks".
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
and who would pay the vet bill if the dog ate that really disgusting thing that bound him up and he needed surgery? My sisters dog ate an entire black trash bag, and most of its contents, you can imagine that didnt make it far along the intestinal tract before getting all wrapped up and painful. 400.00 surgery later..... she is fine.

If he isnt part of the training, cleaning, or finances of the dog, how is he the owner and decider of your responsibilities? I know he is your son, but that doesnt make him responsible for assigning your chores.

I dont think you have a bad dog, just a typical dog, (possibly a bored dog?) But I do think you have a 'child in charge', and that may be more of the real issue?

Good luck! and keep an I on your pup, Bloat can kill in just a few hours,
sad.png

that is funny...he is a car chaser too...well I can home one day last month and he was limping holding up his paw ...well off to the vet....both bones in his leg was broken...350.00 and a cast...which he would not keep on....vet said he had to be kept still....can you imagine a boxer keeping still.....I would put a trash bag on the cast for him to go outside to potty.....because he is a good housebroken dog and would by no circumstance go outside......he is a menace........UH OH....you now know our secret.....my youngest son does run our house....he is so spoiled.....we need to lay the law down to him......

Quote:
ROFLMAO I almost spit my coffee on the screen

I have a cat that will over eat and puke. When freddie hears the sounds of cat barfing, he finds the cat and cleans up the barf. Once he was so enthusiastic that he got cat barf on his head.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
is your boxer an inside dog? maybe I should train him to stay outside

No don't train him to be an outside dog. Boxers are suppose to be inside dogs and are sensitive to temp extremes. If your son is not responsible for his dog than rehoming him is better than being frustrated for 12+years. Your son will go off to college soon and then you are still going to be left with the dog..think about what is fair for the dog. He is a dog and needs attention.

We have two dogs, a really smart shar pei-lab, and a really dumb lap dog. The really dumb lap dog will eat anything, underwear, kleenex, soap, poop, plastic, you name it, she will eat it. She loves nothing more than a fresh pile of horse poop. She is small, fluffy and white, and loves to carry a big horse poop around in her mouth. Nice....
anyway, the smart one, my 'husbands dog', would NEVER do anything like that. So, you can imagine my husbands suprise when he went out and found his dog eating a pile of my 5 year old sons poop when he decided it was much easier to go behind the trash can then to quit playing and come inside....
lau.gif
tongue.gif

to be really honest when he is not eating poo and dead stuff I really do love him.....he looks so cute when he is asleep...he is really loving too......But another problem my new grandbaby is only 1 week and when I hold him and the baby makes baby noises he looks at it and wants to jump up....do you think he will hurt him? he is not aggressive by no means...my dil's little chiuahua eats his face off and the boxer does nothing

Boxers are very loving dogs. And eating nasty stuff is in their nature. I have great danes, a jack russell, and a doxie. They all eat out of the litter box, given half a chance. Lucky for me, my danes don't lick. The other two, well, let's just say they've been taught NOT to lick!
I'd say build them a run, where they can't get into anything you don't like. But they can't be left outside, it will hurt them physically and mentally.

I had a dog that loved to roam and wonder and follow the pretty striped kittys (yes skunks)...and well she got sprayed a few to many times for my liking..she was a malamute...so you ca imagine the routine it was getting the skunk smell out of her..

our solution! very inexpensive under $40!

we hung a rope between 2 trees and had a lead that was hung on this rope..so not only did the dog get the entire length of the yard but because we used an extenda lead (flexi lead the retractable ones) well she also got the length of the lead which was about 50 feet..she had in total 100 feet long by 50 feet wide and that suited her fine! and for those who think o the boxer would pull that down...my dog was a trained sled dog and she was NEVER able to pull it down..the key is to make sure the height of the rope between the trees is high enough so that when she pulled it was not comfortable for her.....if you put a stake in the ground and tie a dog to that they have leverage to pull that sucker righ out of the ground...Tala did that to us many times...

Tala was a house dog..she slept in her bed in my bedroom and went outside to potty but instead of just opening the door we put her on the lead and left her for about 30 minutes and she either knocked to get in ..in the nicer weather she would spend all day outside but thats cause we were out there too

Back
Top Bottom