last straw with my boxer

Honestly reading the title I expected to read that the dog was doing something really terrible, but it sounds like he's just being a dog.

Atleast poop won't hurt him, all mine eat some things that are yucky, they aren't as bad as some on the poop, mine have outgrown going to the litter box (they all did it as pups). One time we had a horse deliver premie stillborn twins, we didn't find them right away and the dogs had eatten the face off one. I think that was before any of my current dogs, but they will get afterbirth if they find it before I do. As long as they are safe w/ the live animals I can live w/ them doing doggie things like eating things that make me sick. Now if they were eating something that could be dangerous for them I'd have a problem, my sister's rott use to eat plastic bags and other odd ball things, thankfully it never caused him any serious problems (he died last Thanksgiving).

And in my opinion the person that takes care of the dog is the person that owns the dog.

I'm sorry I really love my dogs....I am a dog person....I have the boxer and a doxie and I think they are the most stubbornest 2 dogs in the world but I do love them.......I told my doctor one day when he was fussing about my blood pressure being high that I had heard pets were suppose to lower your blood pressure and I had 2 dogs and 2 cats and they stress me out sometimes and he said "just think what your blood pressure would be without them" he meant it might be higher of course he is a joker.......

teach him to leave it
when he is in side work with him put a little pieace of meat in front of him (have him on a leash) put it in front of his face and say leave it and after he looks at something else give him a better treat and praise him
work with him only 10 mins a day or he will get tierd of it. this is actually very useful for many things

Last edited:
Ok! I tried to read all the posts, so I apologize if I am repeating...

ELECTRIC COLLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been training dogs for over 20 years and I personally have Boxers. Dogs will be dogs given the chance, but really all that eating stuff is gross and unacceptable at my house. I have this thing called a "Zone". LOVE IT! It is the size of a smoke detector and comes with a collar.....when the dog gets close to the unit it will give them an audible sound to say "Hey! Stay away!!" Then if they keep coming it will zap them. Not bad, but it works and with Boxers you only need to use it for a week or two and then they don't even try it anymore.
Also how about a fenced yard or area for just him. You can also use a electric fence unit that is wireless. So no hard work...just plug it in and put on the collar.
I find these methods great for breaking habits that are just too hard to resist and when you can't always be around to stop it.
www.petedge.com or www.drsfostersmith.com or petsmart
Good Luck!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Train leave it and leave it and come. You should get a dog run as well. They are blessing that will pay for themselves many times over. also always remember a tried dog is a good dog.

Pm me for any training questions

leave it worked very well for me
eltric collers might give the dog problems because when they run out of the yard it shocks them and when they come back in the yard it shocks them so they might not come back in the yard

I used to have a miniature schnauser that was the worst for getting into stinky stuff. He used to go outside with me when I did chores. While I was dishing out grain and throwing hay he ran around the pasture. He started getting exceedingly stinky, and had to have a bath everyday. It was horrible. I finally decided that I had to watch his activity in the pasture to find out what he was rolling in. Then I saw it.
ep.gif
I was horrified and disgusted.
sickbyc.gif
He stood with the horses and and when one of them peed, he ran and got into the stream. He was taking golden showers in the pasture!
barnie.gif
Then he ran around in the sun and was quite dry but stinky by the time I was finished with chores. He got his bath that day and was no longer allowed to play in the pasture.

Quote:
As with any training tool it MUST be used properly and steps taken to prepare the dog for the reprimand. They have to learn what it means. Directions come with the unit.

I guess I don't see why this is really an issue? My dogs eat that kind of stuff too, and they are inside dogs. They are house broken, and they are designed to be able to eat that stuff without digestive problems, so it's never been a problem.

We have one boxer/mastiff mix and one pit/lab mix.

Back
Top Bottom