last straw with my boxer

Quote:
Sorry you are in that predicament but you are the parent...you do make the rules. I would tell DS that he will either be around to take care of his dog or the dog goes to someone who will be around and take care of him.

He will get over it if you rehome the dog, if not..... oh well. He needs to learn the responsibility of having the pet and managing the issues that come with it. Instead of "knowing mom or dad will do it".

May be the time for some tough love. It is not fair to the dog either and he is not thinking about that.

good luck with this situation.

Quote:
1. It appears that we are
hmm.png

2. Yes, I am serious, everything that I said is true. Not really sure if you are upset, but by your written tone I suspect you are. So, for upsetting you, I do apologize. That doesn't change the truth of it though.

3. By explaining to her that it's normal dog behaviour, and that if he's a good dog in every other respect (which she's said he is) that it's nothing to get upset over. Life happens, dogs eat poo, death and taxes, that kind of thing. In short, with dogs (or anything else) you have to pick your battles. I'd say eating dead things and poo is excusable due to eons of relying on it for survival.

4. I try to be.

5. Unfortunately more often than I'd like to be
roll.png

"And that's all I have to say about that"

OK...like I have said before...what works for you....but it does occur to me that you are in WY and may not have the microorganism and parasite issues that we have here in the South East. It is a real issue here and dogs do die and have other heath issues as a result. I am copying a portion of an article that I found, written by 3 Vets. Just google it...
The most critical is the possibility of ingesting internal parasites. Usually this will happen if your dog eats the feces of unfamiliar, infested dogs or the feces of wild life (such as deer). However, the possibility of picking up a parasite from a strange animal (especially wild life) is very real, and the dog should be prevented from eating such feces as much as possible.
In addition to internal parasites, organisms such as Toxoplasma gondii is transmitted in some cat feces. This can cause a dog a variety of problems, including CNS and muscle damage. Try to keep the dog away from cat feces as much as possible because of this.
It's also possible that the feces, if left to sit too long, can become infested with fly larvae, foreign bacteria, fungus, etc. It is best to make sure your dog avoids these sources of disease as much as possible. Be sure to keep your dog away from strange feces when on a walk and clean up any old feces in your yard as soon as possible.

Here in GA we are full of cases of dogs with toxoplasmosis, giardia, cocidia, hook worms, and tapes. These are real and if a dog eats an animals feces it will contract it. The dogs come in to our house and the little bugs will crawl out of their nether region or spread by saliva and can be picked up by humans unknowingly. I personally have 3 clients that are treating dogs with toxoplasmosis and there is new research to say that some dog's seizures could be a result of microorganisms. Wild rabbits carry a microorganism that is deadly to humans. We had a bad scare this summer here on my farm.
I am not trying to change your mind on what you do with your dog but there are 2 sides to the coin. I have been in the animal industry all my life and my opinion comes with 38 years of life experience and years of formal training. So please don't dismiss the facts.
I am only concerned that gapeachy will get the help she asked for. I am not upset! I just hate when someone asks for help and then there is a huge debate. Just give your help and let others offer theirs.
smile.png

Last edited:
There's a potentially easy solution for all of this, if it hasn't been mentioned before now.

Make your son pay for the dog. Make it expensive for the dog to misbehave.

Examples:

The dog is caught eating poo. There are diseases in that stuff. The son needs to set up a vet visit.

The dog misbehaves (training hasn't convinced him that eating poo is naughty). It now needs to learn obedience training. If the son can't get the dog to stop misbehaving he needs to look into a trainer. Petsmart offers obedience training classes for $100.

The dog attacks something in the yard. The son needs to pay the vet bill to get it fixed, or pay for it to be replaced.

Yeah, he's going to be really upset at having to pay for all of that if he hasn't had to in the past. But this is _his_ dog and _his_ responsibility. If he doesn't want to take on the responsibility then he can sell the dog and buy a video game
smile.png

If he doesn't have a job yet this is good incentive to either have him look for a job or find a way to make a little extra money on the side (helping you build a new pen, selling eggs, etc).

Hope that helps.

There is no end in sight. Our Boxer(Spanky)eats everything when we are not looking. We breed shetland ponies. Upon them taking care of their business, he promptly eats it. Then pukes it up in the house later. It looks as though it was never ate. Talk about embarrassing, we had guests over and they asked, "How did one of your ponies get in the house?"

Quote:
When my chickens were little and in the movable tractor, my dogs acted like the chickens left little tootsie rolls all over the ground for them. I've known many dogs that love cat poo too. And to think that some people let their dogs lick them on the mouth.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom