Late bloomer Brahma

My Brahma has yet to lay. I know her breed is slow to develop into her egg laying time, and she may not lay until spring at this point. But she does egg songs out of nowhere about every other day that I catch, maybe more. She’s been doing it for months. I’ve checked her hips she is slowly getting ready. But I wonder. Is she mocking the other girls egg song behavior because that’s what she thinks she should do? Or is it like a chicken hormone surge where she does it because her body is preparing ever so slowly?

I am not sure...I have a Silkie that is a almost a year old and still has not laid an egg. Some chickens are just slower to mature than others. I am sure you will have some Brahma eggs in the spring.

How old is she? Is she the only bird you have that age?

The egg song is an evolutionary thing from the jungle fowl days. As a hen would go off to the nest to lay, the rest of the flock would continue to forage. After she laid, she would come off the nest and squawk calling out, "HEY, WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?" And the rest of the flock would call back, "HERE WE ARE!"
So it's not just about laying the egg, it's about reconnecting with the flock. They'll even do it when they're all in a pen together. They just can't help themselves. I've even heard a lost rooster do it.

Keep in mind that we're at about 10 hours of daylight now and declining.
She may start soon or wait till after winter solstice. Perhaps by January.

Last edited:
How old is she? Is she the only bird you have that age?

The egg song is an evolutionary thing. As a hen would go off to the nest to lay, the rest of the flock would continue to forage. After she laid, she would come off the nest and squawk calling out, "HEY, WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?" And the rest of the flock would call back, "HERE WE ARE!"
So it's not just about laying the egg, it's about reconnecting with the flock. I've even heard a lost rooster do it.

Keep in mind that we're at about 10 hours of daylight now and declining.
She may start soon or wait till after winter solstice. Perhaps by January.

She’s the same age as the other 2 I have. April 20ish chicks. She’s done it while next to the others and is actually a typical quiet Brahma. She’s also sort of an adventurous loner. Doesn’t mind being alone. I can tell their calls for each other though versus each of their egg songs. My first layer was my barred rock, she has slowed down to every other day laying. My second layer is the RIR and she’s amped up to about 5/week now that BR has slowed down. I anticipate the decline in production. I was just curious about the behavior. Wondering opinions and experiences on it from a nature vs nurture aspect.

She’s the same age as the other 2 I have. April 20ish chicks. She’s done it while next to the others and is actually a typical quiet Brahma. She’s also sort of an adventurous loner. Doesn’t mind being alone. I can tell their calls for each other though versus each of their egg songs. My first layer was my barred rock, she has slowed down to every other day laying. My second layer is the RIR and she’s amped up to about 5/week now that BR has slowed down. I anticipate the decline in production. I was just curious about the behavior. Wondering opinions and experiences on it from a nature vs nurture aspect.
I edited my first post to note that they continue the egg song even when they're in the same pen. They can't help themselves.
With those breeds, what you're experiencing makes perfect sense. As a general rule, Brahmas lay about 140 eggs a year, Plymouth Rocks lay around 200 and RIRs lay around 250.

Brahmas are late maturing birds, especially the breeder quality types. My two hatchery Brahma hens began at different time, one at 19 weeks, but the Buff at the more normal age of 30 weeks. The early layer died at 5 1/2 of cancer. The Buff lived to almost 10 years old, died a year ago.

My Partridge and blue Partridge Brahmas laid later than that, 32-35 weeks of age, perfectly normal for them.

But, they don't hold the record here! One EE hen started at 40 weeks and until two years ago, she held the record. A Barred Rock hen of fine heritage lines held out until 44 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom