Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by MadamPoofyBrow, Feb 5, 2016.

1. This is my first time

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. Two

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Three

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Four or five

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Five to ten

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Ten to twenty

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. Twenty to fifty

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Fifty or more

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. sharonmc2002

sharonmc2002 In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    SETN
    Don't know what I did but.... Heard a small pop sound coming from the incubator. Opened it up and one of the eggs had pieces laying around it. Ok eight eggs left to try this with. Anyone else have it explode on the first full day? Did not see a bullseye on this egg that seems to have started its own autopsy.

2. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chirping

Apr 22, 2015
    Howdy everyone! I'm jumping on here from the early February HAL. I just got done setting 4 super blue egg layers that I ordered from MPC. 1 hatched this past Friday. Only 1. That was not the best first-time incubating experience. Oh well! I have some Mille Fleur/Calico cochins being shipped (I know, I know, but rare breeds are hard to find in my area!) some time this week. I'm hoping for a better hatch. I think I will not turn them for a day or two, after letting them set for a day to settle, when I put them in the incubator. I'm using a Brinsea Mini, so I'm hoping that it wasn't my incubator, just the shipped eggs. Anywho, I'm ready to give it another go!

3. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chirping

Apr 22, 2015
    I am doing a classroom hatch in a few weeks and ordered the Genesis for it (it was a good excuse to get another one!)- glad to hear that you like it! I might be asking you lots of questions about it!

4. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Songster

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I just bought some eggs on ebay and they're arriving this Wednesday! The eggs are from a mixed flock so I don't know what I'm getting so I'm excited!

5. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Songster

Jun 15, 2015
    Ooh, Mille fleur Cochins! My favourite thing ever! I raise them from great lines and have great birds...I may be shipping eggs in the future :-D
    I think you'll love the Genesis! So far it has done great!

Welcome Griffin! My eggs should get here Wednesday as well!

So far from my own birds I have one Mille Cochin that will go in with the Serama eggs when they arrive. Anything else I get between now at then I will also set :-D

6. k5crew

k5crew Chirping

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    We candled this morning to see where we are at with our 12 eggs. This are a mixed batch and a 3 are too hard to see,and have veining!!! Here is my puzzle there was one that was very fluid - I'm thinking scrambled. 3 - I can see an air sac and yolk but no dot. 1 - I can see yolk, air sac and a dot. I am thinking these 4 are not fertile. Input please!!! This is our first time!!!

Other 7 eggs are under a hen. Do I candle those as well?[​IMG] Fertile! Right?

[​IMG] infertile???

7. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Songster

Jun 15, 2015
    First pic is definitely fertile, the second might be. What day are you on? That should help :-D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

8. k5crew

k5crew Chirping

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    The lady we received eggs from gave us all of the eggs she had at the time. Her hens started setting on them last Monday, I picked up on Wednesday. I have a feeling eggs may have been laid in between. So my eggs are between 5 & 7 days. It is all very confusing to me! [​IMG][​IMG]

9. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Songster

Jun 15, 2015
    I would wait until the youngest are at least at day 10 before making a deffinate decision and tossing any :-D

10. Gone-Quackers

Gone-Quackers Chirping

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
    I'm joining in! :) My new hovabator incubator came in the mail Saturday and after maintaining temp for 12 hours I loaded it with 10 runner duck eggs. The incubator holds 42 eggs however my ducks aren't laying that much right now and who wants to do a trial run with a full load? [​IMG]

So excited!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by