Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Ooh, Mille fleur Cochins! My favourite thing ever! I raise them from great lines and have great birds...I may be shipping eggs in the future :-D
I think you'll love the Genesis! So far it has done great!

Welcome Griffin! My eggs should get here Wednesday as well!

So far from my own birds I have one Mille Cochin that will go in with the Serama eggs when they arrive. Anything else I get between now at then I will also set :-D
They were advertised as Mille fleur/calico cochins, so I'm hoping that I get some lighter colored ones! So far I am pretty attached to my silkies, but the mille cochins looked so adorable, I couldn't pass it up, shipped or not!

Did you get the them on eBay? I wonder if they're the ones I almost bid on...
They were advertised as Mille fleur/calicos too :-D

Hello, can I join the hatch?? I have never hatched before but I set 24 eggs in a used LG incubator that would be hatching on Valentine's Day but they all have died, I believe the thermometer is way off and they got too hot. I believe this because a week later I set 18 more in a homemade incubator and they, now at 8 days, all have active little babies inside, and those eggs feel almost cool compared to the ones in the LG. Those are set to hatch the 21st. And as luck would have it, amongst all this incubating, I had a hen go broody so I gave her 9 fertile eggs. Those will hopefully hatch the 25th!
All the eggs I'm hatching are buff orpingtons from my own flock.

Sure you can join!

I have had bad experiences with LG incubators. Both of mine say it's the right temp and are way too cold inside. I invested in a much more expensive Genesis hova bator 1588 and it was well worth it!
Good luck with those eggs!

Thank you! Yes I haven't heard many great things about the LG. The homemade one is working so well, but it's got a manual turner and only holds 30 so I tried the LG first and, well, the rest is history. I'm hoping I can get a new thermometer and at least use the LG as a hatcher maybe.
Anyway, I also have to try so hard not to candle my other eggs to death, but it's so heartwarming and encouraging watching those little chickies squirm around! I haven't dared to candle broody hen's, she'll take my hand off.

Mind if I join?? Mine's going to be a little later than others....but I also get to test out my new Genesis 1588! I plan on setting however many eggs I can collect on February 16th to hatch on March 8th.

I haven't dared to candle broody hen's, she'll take my hand off.

Well I decided to check the broody hen's eggs and of the 9, 7 were definitely going good, one had a pretty thick shell and I could only make out a few veins but am unsure if there was anything else, and one looked like a dud, but it's only been 3 days so I just put it back in case. I learned my lesson about getting rid of eggs I thought were bad already.

Today is day 5 and I just finished candling 16 out of 46 and it appears that out of those 16 only 7 are fertile. I won't be removing eggs until day 10 just in case.

Sounds like mine will be hatching just as some are getting going. This is so exciting!!! I cannot wait. I am leaving my broody alone. She has a few Karan's eggs and since I'm not sure of the exact date I will wait as suggested to touch anymore. But candling is so stinking exciting!

I love all the breeds mentioned, especially runner ducks! Ours will be a mix. Dad is a Sizzle/Americauna and moms are silkie, frizzle, Americauna, Maran and sizzle! Oh the possibilities!!

Back
Top Bottom