Late Introduction

BugsToBirds

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Elmira, NY
I feel a bit uncomfortable with introductions and have been busy with other aspects of life, but I'm fairly new and still feel like I should say hello. The introduction format is appreciated.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have always loved my somewhat estranged grandfather's birds, but it wasn't until about half a year ago that my mother and I decided to dive in head first and bought some chicks and ducklings from Tractor Supply.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Started out with four chicks and two ducks, but a predator got in and did a lot of damage, leaving just one chick and duckling each. Immediately made reinforcements and found a nice person selling a few ducks the same age for company, and more recently bought a new batch of chicks. Flock is now at four ducks and seven chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

The ducks are rouens, one golden sebright hens, two barred rock chicks, two californian grey pullets, and two of what are suspected to be australorp (hopefully bantam) pullets.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I have always been a lover of animals and found I love the company of chickens and ducks as much as any cats and dogs. It's a good things to get me outside too, and I'm very much looking forward to some eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

If my interest in insects and arachnids (hence the name) counts as a hobby, then I guess there's that. I also play D&D on the weekends, and occasionally enjoy baking as of late.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I've always had an indisputably strange family, which includes my twin taking an interest in taxidermy at a young age and keeping dead animals in our ever-patient mother's freezer.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

BYC kept popping up when I started trying to inform myself on chickens before we got any birds. There seems to be a lot of people who are actually very nice, and I hope I'll be able to help more than be helped on here before long. (Although I am a bit greedy and hope to get a free bird or two from someone in NY or PA to try different breeds. ;))

8309D486-3065-4E5F-891A-C4315308903B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom