Late Molting

mbrennan1954

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 23, 2008
It has been getting very cold for Maryland standards, (teens), and all of my hens are growing new feathers. Only one of them seems to be actually molting and losing the old ones. She is losing them faster than the new ones are coming back and I am afraid that she may not be able to maintain her body heat at night. Last month I had one that molted and had many bare spots. She seemed to be healty but one night we had a cold snap and she died. I am afraid that if I bring her in the garage she will get used to it and I will be stuck with her in there for the rest of the winter. Will she be smart enough th snuggle with the others and stay warm? I don't know about everyone else but my hens score very low on their SAT's.

I think all of mine are molting, Most of my hens have really bare backs like NO feathers at all, it was below 0 sunday night and they all huddled together in the coop. I know my coop really needs cleaning out but with it as cold as it is I have left it since I know that the poo gives off some heat and that's all the heat they get. marrie

Back
Top Bottom