Late Winter Quilt Block Swap -----> March 1 due date

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are at 11. This thread isn't letting me edit normally, so for now, I'll keep our count posted pretty often, then I'll attempt to edit when we are full. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Hopefully we'll get everyone this month. I'm still waiting for 4 other folks who PMd me to post here that they intend to take part. I really want everyone to sign up on the thread. Its hard to keep track of all the PMs I get from folks daily.
th.gif

So, as is 11 signed up, 14 spaces to fill up!

I am in as long as all the fabric is 100% cotton. I am not sure that it would be worth having a quilt that can't wear evenly. I have a large stash that is begging to be used. Now all I need to do is clean up the sewing room enough, to be able to use the sewing machine, and ironing board. It won't hurt for me to dig out the cutting mat either. LOL

I can't guarantee you that everyone will use 100% cotten. I know that most of us do though.
hu.gif
I don't even know if my fabric I have is all 100% cotton some of it is years old, and I will be using some textured fabric in these quilt squares and I know that is not 100% cotton

I will opt not to join this group. It isn't worth my time to deal with who knows how old, and non 100% cotton.

I am sorry if anyone finds this to be hurtful in any way. There maybe many places to use random fabric, and certainly a case could be put forth for crazy quilts. But given the time it takes to complete a quilt, it isn't worth it to me personally to have a hope that the quilt would survive being washed, used, displayed, gifted or possibly passed down to to a future generation, unless the materials used have at least some semblance to standard materials used in today's quilts.

Doesn't the mixed cotton/polyester fabric wear, last longer, and wash better, least you don't have to iron it.

A polyester cotton blend can be versatile, as it most likely retains the coolness and lightness of the cotton fiber, but also adds the strength, durability and wrinkle-resistance of polyester. A polyester cotton blend should only shrink slightly in comparison to a garment or fabric that is 100 percent cotton. This blend is often preferred by at-home sewers and quilters as it is extremely easy to sew.

retrieved from ehow.com/About Polyester Cotton Blend

I will opt not to join this group. It isn't worth my time to deal with who knows how old, and non 100% cotton.

I am sorry if anyone finds this to be hurtful in any way. There maybe many places to use random fabric, and certainly a case could be put forth for crazy quilts. But given the time it takes to complete a quilt, it isn't worth it to me personally to have a hope that the quilt would survive being washed, used, displayed, gifted or possibly passed down to to a future generation, unless the materials used have at least some semblance to standard materials used in today's quilts.
Another option is if you don't like some of the squares sent to you, is not to use them

Doesn't the mixed cotton/polyester fabric wear, last longer, and wash better, least you don't have to iron it.

A polyester cotton blend can be versatile, as it most likely retains the coolness and lightness of the cotton fiber, but also adds the strength, durability and wrinkle-resistance of polyester. A polyester cotton blend should only shrink slightly in comparison to a garment or fabric that is 100 percent cotton. This blend is often preferred by at-home sewers and quilters as it is extremely easy to sew.

retrieved from ehow.com/About Polyester Cotton Blend

You are correct about this type of fabric. Still the cotton blends are best suited to garments. The problem with mixing fabric types in quilts is that the fabrics will wear at different rates. So you will have a quilt that will develop holes in it with time. Examples of this show up in quilts that were made after fabric blends became readily available and common place. By the 1970's it was nearly impossible to find 100% cotton fabric in stores. I have had requests to repair worn out quilts from this era, and the sad thing is the fabric is simply rotten, and the only thing that can be done is try to replace the fabric. That of course changes the original quilt in a very elemental way.

During the reemergence of the quilting movement noted quilters noted that 100% cotton will create quilts that will last for generations. There are quilt museums have quilts that date back into the 1700's. The surviving quilts are all made from 100% cotton. Blended fabrics have a limited life expectancy. Each blend will wear differently and will have a unique life span. Some blends may last for many life times, but there isn't any way for most of us to really know how well or how long a blended fabric will wear.

Today we have an abundance of 100% cotton fabric. Most of the fabric that is offered at Wal-Mart is 100% cotton, and is designed for quilters. Even within 100% cottons there is a quality differences. The quilt shops will often sell better quality cotton, than the chain stores do. The difference is often seen, within the dyes that are used. The lower end fabrics are often a design printed on white fabric. With the higher end fabrics it can be hard to tell the difference between the front and back of the fabric.

Just stop and think about the clothes that we wear, and think about how long any of the clothing lasts as we wear it and use it. I know that I have some clothes for many years, and some clothes will look and feel worn out within a year or two. Making a quilt is a commitment of time, and a labor of love. I know that I want mine to be passed on to grandchild, and even to their children.

I do know that a block swap may not lead to a quilt that will be passed around for generations, but it is still worth using the best type of fabric for the craft. Polyester fabric doesn't breathe like cotton, and is not considered to be as comfortable or as safe for infants and the very elderly. People that have a hard time controlling their own body temperatures, do better sleeping and wearing 100% cotton.

I must admit that I have never ironed a quilt after it's been finished, and washed. I have always found that a 100% cotton quilt takes on its own feel and texture, and I have always thought of it as the way a handcrafted quilt should feel. I do own quilts that wear made in the early 1900's by family members. The quilts are all hand sewn, and made of 100% cotton. I personally don't have the patience to hand sew, so all my quilts are machine sewn. I also have sent a number of my quilts to a longarm quilter to have the quilt quilted. I enjoy piecing the quilt top, and unless I can someday afford to own a longarm machine I will only quilt the smaller more manageable sized quilts.

I don't have any problem with the different qualities of 100% cottons in a swap like this, but I do seem to have issues with other types of fabrics in a quilt.

I will admit to having watched to many quilting shows, and having read to many quilting magazines over the years. So I hope that everyone has fun with this swap. I have been part of past swaps, but there were more rules about the type of fabrics. I am going to have to give this a lot more thought. It did occur to me that I would have to use all the blocks, and I do have other blocks from past swaps that could be use instead. Still I don't want to disrespect another person’s time and effort in being part of this swap.

Would it be better to not join this swap, or join it while everyone knows that I may not choose to use all the blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom