Latest UPDATE on neighbors dog (LONG POST)

Post #8 is right. We have a nearby neighbor and an event occurred that took 5 shots before the dog loosened up. The nerve damage to the arm and hand have never healed completely and likely never will. To be taken by a pit is a horrible experience. No room for error in dealing with this animal.

Thanks for all the support everyone! No, we have not reported it. But maybe we should. I wonder if it did live?! BigBadCryBaby: 7 times to put it down, wow! That is hard to believe, but believable considering my DH's pistol didn't slow him down at all.

I will keep you updated. I know our neighbors will all be happier. Alot of us have chickens and all of us have kids and dogs to look out for!

ChickenJones

You have nothing to feel guilty about, the owners brought the situation upon the dog and themselves. I understand that it makes you feel bad that the dog wasn't killed outright, but your husband did the best he could. If he hadn't shot he may well have been in the hospital today. The owners sealed that dog's fate not you.

Oh I know! I am very thankful it was the dog and not my husband! Believe me!

smile.png

Lots and LOTS of.....
hugs.gif
. I am glad your DH was close by. Scary!

I don't know what your ordinances say about dogs, but this is what our's says.

"Lawful Killing of a Dog: A person may intentionally kill a dog only if a person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and other restraining actions were tried and failed; or, immediate action is necessary. A person may intentionally kill a dog if a domestic animal that is owned or in the custody of the person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and the dog is on property owned or controlled by the person and other restraining actions were tried and failed; or, immediate action is necessary."

You should look into it. We did when this same thing happened to us. Luckily that dog has not been back since.

At least your DH was not harmed and your flock is okay.

I hope you called the police (being the first to report an incident is a good thing...that way if the neighbors call them on you for shooting their dog, you reported it first). If you didn't, at least report the incident now. These people need to be on record as owning a dangerous dog that not only attacked livestock but threatened a human being in his own yard.

Im glad your husband got the job done, my ghetto neighbors have a pit chained to a tree. Im waiting for the day that dog gets into my yard to mess with my animals, it wont be a happy ending for the dog. Pitbull owners NEED TO BE LICENSED.

Back
Top Bottom