Latest UPDATE on neighbors dog (LONG POST)

I would also run hot wire directly around your coop and run in additon to your existing perimeter fencing just for added insurance. I did that in case my perimeter fence grounded out from weeds or brush or something falling on it.

UPDATE on snooping dogs! We know who they belong to. They live a ways down the road and belong to two different people. There are 5 or 6 in all. These people don't ever shut their gate. Their dogs didn't do any damage so unless they do its pointless to know who they belong to. I will hang on to the pictures though!

One the pics with the new dogs, the lighter colored dogs look to be a Black Mouth Cur or cross of that anyway. There are used out your way for bay dogs or catch dogs. Most people that have them are hog hunters. We see them A LOT at bays out west. Well, west of Mississippi. Don't see too many of them here.

As for the dark shaggy one, no guess on that.

http://www.blackmouthcur.com/

See if anyone in your area owns hunting dogs, or if you have a hog population. If you see them regular, they live close by. If not, they probably belong to hunters. Sometimes hunting dogs will run trash (they call it trash because they aren't hunting what they should be). The bay dogs are usually turned loose in a area that is known for hogs and once they bay up, the catch dogs will be turned loose to hold it there until the hunters can get there and either catch it or kill it.

Quote:
Even though they didn't do damage this time, I would still ask them to keep their dogs on their property. It's tempting fate when you let them get into the habit of coming around. Roaming dogs are never a good idea.

Twinstar:
after seeing the dogs up close in the day light, the biggest light one looks like a purebred of somekind but I don't know what. The rest look like mutts- lab with something else mostly. We do have a huge population of wild hogs all over our part of Texas. We are all hunters (our family and all of our friends) so I get where you are coming from with that. Since there are no laws about dogs roaming on your property at 2 in the morning I can ask them but they don't have to comply unless the dogs hurt something and we catch it on camera. Pretty stupid laws out here, if you ask me.
roll.png

Quote:
Good account, great idea getting pics. Next time as much as telling may be therapy follow the three "S's" Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up. The less people that know the better.

Now that being said we have had problems with our slack-jaw neighbors that think pit-bulls are a good idea. Right from day one when they walked their dogs on my property I with no political correctness told them if there dogs were on my property again I would kill them. I have two young kids and as far as I am concerned if they are on my property they are a threat to my kids. I can tell you I have never seen those dogs even close to my yard since the warning, they walk them on the other side of the house out of our sight and they are kept indoors at all other times. We had a German Shepard will some of our chickens last summer and we are dealing with fox problems now. I have a question regarding Indiana law and a comment I saw in this thread earlier. If there is a dog threatening our chickens do we have a right to kill it? We were told that Indiana (in 2008 or 2009)put a law into affect that will not allow us to kill a dog for threatening our ladies, however it was by a huge animal rights activist that I work with, so I took it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Agreed to the laws thing. It is like that here also. If they cause damage then you have rights, but as for most in our parts, it is coon hunting. Oh lord, listening to those hounds all night baying a tree will wear you out. LOL! At least with hogs, they either break and run or get caught & toted out or killed. We are in North Georgia and you can't hunt hogs with dogs. Coons, yes. To hunt with dogs, if you have to go below Macon.

chickenjones I am sorry your husband was put in that position. I had to kill a neighbor's dog last year for the same thing...it was after my little dog and then charged me. Thankfully I did not panic and killed it. Then I had the duty of taking the dead dog back to its owners. I was crying like a baby telling the man what had happened. Thankfully, he was very kind about it and felt bad that the dog had gotten outside its fence and worse that I had to shoot it.

It is never a pleasant thing but sometimes it is necessary. I am glad your birds are okay though.

I caught my "crack-head" neighbors pit trying to dig under the fence to get my chickens. I yelled at him to come over to get his dog. I told him if his dog kills my chickens, I kill his dog. Plain & simple. I saw his dog over at the fence a few days later, & my neighbor just happened to see me, waiting for it to dig under, with my rifle over my shoulder. He called his dog home, & now it wears a shock collar & is the best "stay ay home" dog I've ever seen. Don't be afraid to stand up for what is yours. I now have an electric fence with wire on top & bottom. My charger will cover 15 acres, & has knocked me on my butt a couple of times. Good fences.... & guns, make good neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom