Latex eggshell or what?

WILDBACK40

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Hey everybody this is wildback40 new to the forum raising chickens for a year. Had a hen lay this morning and the shell looked like and felt like latex. Anybody know what could cause that?

Last edited:
Rebecca thanks for answering, I feed my hens layer crumbles 16%, and have free choice grit and oyster shell available also. Congratulations on your Rooster!

Last edited:
Welcome! Sorry about the computer server issues we are having today!

If you give them treats and goodies or they free range, often the 16% layer isn't quite enough calcium. Also, sometimes they just lay a "dud". Good luck!

Hmm, well then it is probably a fluke. Our hen recently skipped one day and the next laid one e g g in the morning like usual and then in the afternoon, she laid a shelless one in the middle of the driveway
idunno.gif
She seemed as surprised as we were
lol.png
I guess she was backed up
lol.png

Quote:
On the first part, I'm thinkin' that instead of Y2K, it's M4/1.

About the e g g, new layers sometimes do wierd things before the e g g plumbing gets worked out.

Calcium in the form of oyster and/or e g g shells should be offered free choice.

Thank you all for the replies I'm thinking it was just a fluke. And I'm going to check out the link Wynette posted for me. But ya know when ya don't have problems and all the sudden something like that happens ya start searchin for explanation before there's more problems. I have a barred rock thats loosing feathers at one year don't know if she layed the e g g or not but I've watched her for hours and she just keeps dropping feathers and I'm thinkin she's a little early for molt!

Back
Top Bottom