lathargic chick

kent318

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
The neighbor brought a chic from the fair over to me the other day said they didn't know how to tack care of it.This chic seems real lathargic not moving much and almost aways sleeping.seemed to have some runny stool.I suspect it may be a parasite the poor thing wont hardly wake up to eat.Any suggestions would be helpful.

how old?
what temp do you have it?
first week should be 95 second week 90 etc.
if it is just a hatchling, 1-2 days old it may still be weak from hatching and just need the rest. keep it warm and hydrated and if it is passing stool then there is not much else that you can do. try yogurt or pedialite.

right on the temps what was said, warm it up...second as a medic...gonna kick in here with what I did for a chick that was lethargic....

I got a srygine, and a IV cath...maybe you can buy one in the drug store...an IV cath...will have a needle...its what is used to start IVs....they stick that into your a/c arm...and pull out the needle and the CATH stays in to administer fluids...

I remove the needle part, and discard, where others wont get stuck...then I attach the CATH part to the srygine, should screw on...I make water about 1oz, and either add two drops of clear sryup, or put a pinch of sugar into the water..mix it well, draw it up into the srygine...and slowly and VERY CAREFULLY, adminster some to the baby chick,....

CAREFUL, YOU CAN PUSH TOO MUCH WITH A SIMPLE SQUIRT..HAS TO BE DONE VERY VERY CAREFULLY...it might need sugar in its system to help it thrive, or you can buy some vitamine powder to mix into the water...

GOOD LUCK...mine did well when I did this.

Well thanks for all the helpful tips I'm sure to use them again however the chick did not make it.It was from some kind of fair and I suspect he got what ever it was from there.I think like you said he must have gotten cold I don't think the people who bought himdid not know how to care for them the baby duck they gave me is doing good though.

Back
Top Bottom