Lattice for a duck pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Has anyone here used Lattice boards/sheets for their duck pen? My current pen is wire but i was thinking the Lattice might make a rally pretty run.

Do you think it would work?
    any downsides?

If we decided to use it, I could line the bottom couple feet with smaller wire for ducklings & we never have had any predators break into the pens so far, just some rats that stole eggs.

thanks everyone.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I think it would look nice! The only bad thing I could think of is minks and weasels could still get in and I feel like you would see more lattice than ducks from the outside...you know what I mean?

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I used to have my goose pen beside the car port...there was lattice on one side partitioning off the car port from the goose pen all the way up to the roof- and vines growing up the lattice too. It made for a great side fence. The geese could eat the plants- but never completely demolish them since they could only eat one side of it.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    You know, I was just looking at lattice the other day, thinking of using it for parts of the run of the new Call duck pen I'm designing.

I think it would work great! I'm still planning on using welded wire fencing on at least the front of the run though - because, like 1lpoock said, I want to see more duck than lattice! [​IMG]

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Okay - just a question: Why wouldn't the same thing happen with welded wire fencing that has 2" x 3" openings (that's what I have for my runs) that they stick their heads though? Or chain-link fencing, for that matter, which has openings very similar in size to the lattice I'm looking at? What is it about the lattice that would cause them to panic and get stuck?

I'm just curious. I don't want to find any ducks stuck on their runs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by