Duck pen advice needed!

Sammbalina

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2018
Shelby County, AL
We are setting up our duck pen using RedBrand field fence.however I am worried about them fitting through the wire so we are layering chicken wire at the bottom. My question is would 1 foot be adequate, or should I go with 2 foot? We are getting Silver Appleyards, so larger ducks. Once they are fully grown I don’t think we’ll necessarily need the chicken wire but I’m sure we’ll need it until then. But would they be able to jump over 1 foot and make it through the gaps in the field fence or would that be enough to keep them in?

We are setting up our duck pen using RedBrand field fence.however I am worried about them fitting through the wire so we are layering chicken wire at the bottom. My question is would 1 foot be adequate, or should I go with 2 foot? We are getting Silver Appleyards, so larger ducks. Once they are fully grown I don’t think we’ll necessarily need the chicken wire but I’m sure we’ll need it until then. But would they be able to jump over 1 foot and make it through the gaps in the field fence or would that be enough to keep them in?
what are the measurements of the spaces in your field fencing?

I looked it up I think they are 6 inches by 3 inches near bottom and bigger near top.
sure when theyre little they go through but when they get bigger I might worry theyd get stuck trying
A full grown SA (I have one) wouldnt fit but can stick her head and neck through for sure
I had a duck that died after being rescued from being stuck in a hole in chain link fencing . she managed to get her bill down into the space below where she was poking through and then struggled to get out so much that she was tramautized.
The poultry fencing around the first 2 feet should prevent that, leave it on.

what are the measurements of the spaces in your field fencing?
IMG_9060.png

This is the fencing we are using

If you're getting ducklings, you'll want something with a smaller gauge than chicken wire. I've had ducklings get stuck in those holes.
We are starting with hatching eggs, and of course at first they will be in a brooder, then most likely a smaller pen to start with using some cage wire we have. I have some coated 1x1 spaced cage wire that we will use for them to start with while we can be outside with them, and they’ll be in a hoop coop the rest of the time until I’m comfortable enough with them being in the big pen

Back
Top Bottom