1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lav Split Silkie and Black Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FarmerBoy24, Jul 9, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Is there any way to tell the difference between a Lav split to Black Silkie and a full Black silkie?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No. There is a debate on it at The Coop, but those who say "no" are the experienced breeders and those who know far more about genetics than I can ever hope to learn.

(With breeding records and accurate bird marking, you can keep track of some who are split--based upon the chicks they have parented or their parents.)

3. zozobraswife

zozobraswife Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Sometimes the splits will be REALLY black-especially as chicks. Blacker that the average black silkies. Something about the lavender brings out the black skin... Still record keeping is the best bet. As long as you are breeding a black line, it won't matter but try not to let the lavender sneak into your blue line. It makes a mess.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have yellow tiny tips on the wing tips that disappear into dark black shortly after they loose their baby fuzz-wouldn't you consider these the splits? I asked a well known breeder who told me to look for that and that's how I mark them-am I wrong and have been wrong this whole time-This was last year and I've seen alot of folks saying the same thing? The rest of the chicks are either pure jett black or pure lavs.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:That has to do with their E-allele, not the lavender gene.

There is no way to distinguish via appearance that a bird has one copy of lav.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Thank you! Originally, That's what I thought ( well not in the sense that you spoke of) but this is why I sell off all my blacks that hatch-because I cannot distinguish the difference and don't want to make a breeding error!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

Thank you! Originally, That's what I thought ( well not in the sense that you spoke of) but this is why I sell off all my blacks that hatch-because I cannot distinguish the difference and don't want to make a breeding error!

If one parent is full, visually lavender, all non-lavender chicks will be split for lav. If both parents are split for lav, you cannot tell which offspring have pne copy of lav versus those that have no copies.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thank you! Originally, That's what I thought ( well not in the sense that you spoke of) but this is why I sell off all my blacks that hatch-because I cannot distinguish the difference and don't want to make a breeding error!

If one parent is full, visually lavender, all non-lavender chicks will be split for lav. If both parents are split for lav, you cannot tell which offspring have pne copy of lav versus those that have no copies.

I only have splits breeding right now and a few 8 month old pures that Im still waiting on eggs from!!!

9. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Quote:Hey you need to change your signature William fancy pants as you no longer on the lookout for those lav silkies. I hope you enjoy them!!!

10. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Quote:My BFF Sabrina bought some of your lav split silkie eggs 15 of them. She GAVE them to me!. I'M SO EGGCITED!!!!! Thanks Sabrina!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by