Lav Split Silkie and Black Silkie?

No. There is a debate on it at The Coop, but those who say "no" are the experienced breeders and those who know far more about genetics than I can ever hope to learn.

(With breeding records and accurate bird marking, you can keep track of some who are split--based upon the chicks they have parented or their parents.)

Sometimes the splits will be REALLY black-especially as chicks. Blacker that the average black silkies. Something about the lavender brings out the black skin... Still record keeping is the best bet. As long as you are breeding a black line, it won't matter but try not to let the lavender sneak into your blue line. It makes a mess.

I have yellow tiny tips on the wing tips that disappear into dark black shortly after they loose their baby fuzz-wouldn't you consider these the splits? I asked a well known breeder who told me to look for that and that's how I mark them-am I wrong and have been wrong this whole time-This was last year and I've seen alot of folks saying the same thing? The rest of the chicks are either pure jett black or pure lavs.

Last edited:
Quote:
That has to do with their E-allele, not the lavender gene.

There is no way to distinguish via appearance that a bird has one copy of lav.

Thank you! Originally, That's what I thought ( well not in the sense that you spoke of) but this is why I sell off all my blacks that hatch-because I cannot distinguish the difference and don't want to make a breeding error!

Quote:
That has to do with their E-allele, not the lavender gene.

There is no way to distinguish via appearance that a bird has one copy of lav.

Thank you! Originally, That's what I thought ( well not in the sense that you spoke of) but this is why I sell off all my blacks that hatch-because I cannot distinguish the difference and don't want to make a breeding error!

If one parent is full, visually lavender, all non-lavender chicks will be split for lav. If both parents are split for lav, you cannot tell which offspring have pne copy of lav versus those that have no copies.

Quote:

If one parent is full, visually lavender, all non-lavender chicks will be split for lav. If both parents are split for lav, you cannot tell which offspring have pne copy of lav versus those that have no copies.

I only have splits breeding right now and a few 8 month old pures that Im still waiting on eggs from!!!

Quote:
Hey you need to change your signature William fancy pants as you no longer on the lookout for those lav silkies. I hope you enjoy them!!!

Back
Top Bottom