Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
I'm new to breeding but not new to chickens in general. I bought some Lavender Ameraucana eggs from Diane (faykoko) and I got a good hatch last Thursday/Friday. They are beautiful so far.  I just read in the above posts that Marans were crossed with the Ameraucanas to get this color? So essentially, these aren't full-blooded Ameraucanas anymore, but easter eggers?

The lavender gene did not come from marans. That is a project she is working on to improve the feathers. If you dont mind.....this is not a thread for the EASTER EGGER discussion.

Last edited:
I'm new to breeding but not new to chickens in general. I bought some Lavender Ameraucana eggs from Diane (faykoko) and I got a good hatch last Thursday/Friday. They are beautiful so far. I just read in the above posts that Marans were crossed with the Ameraucanas to get this color? So essentially, these aren't full-blooded Ameraucanas anymore, but easter eggers?
Lavender/Self Blue is a project color that I hope will be accepted into the standard in the near future. IMO (let the butthurt begin) only Black Ameraucanas should be crossed into this color for improvement. That said, anyone with a male and a female chicken can breed them together and call them anything and sell them. Let the buyer beware. Ask a lot of questions and make sure the breeders lines are not producing aberrant colors. Chickens don't have pedigrees, so buy from a reputable/responsible breeder. The ABC breeders directory is a decent place to start, BUT anyone who pays their membership and wants to list there can. Let me add, that while I'm a fan of BYC, just because someone talks a good game and has 50000 posts, doesn't make them a reputable/responsible breeder.

Lavenders were started by John Blehm.He used lavender old english and lavender Belgian D"anvers to bring the lav into the bantam.He used the bantam to breed up to large fowl.All breeds are created from crosses at some point.Once they breed true they are considered pure bred.Marans are often used to create oliver eggers.Please don't start the EE debate.Diane has good stock and can better tell you the origins of her stock.I doubt there is any Marans blood in most lavenders.No Marans blood in mine as I got my start from John and have not added any Marans blood.Feather legs and very dark olive eggs would be the result.It would take several generations to get rid of those traits.
Harry Shaffer also started the lavender project about the same time using an orpington type bird. I believe he found that bird at a swap.

Hi all! I have a lovely small flock of Lavenders and Blacks. All have very good bloodlines and are from reputable breeders. My understanding is that the lav roos can have either an underlying silver tone or gold tone. Is that correct? I have hatched out dozens of chicks from my flock. I recently had a split cockeral begin to show gold feathers on his upper wings. While he is gorgeous in all other ways, what is up with this? I am assuming this undesirable? Should I get rid of my lav roo? My other splits have never shown this coloring before. Advice would be most welcome!

Lavenders were started by John Blehm.He used lavender old english and lavender Belgian D"anvers to bring the lav into the bantam.He used the bantam to breed up to large fowl.All breeds are created from crosses at some point.Once they breed true they are considered pure bred.Marans are often used to create oliver eggers.Please don't start the EE debate.Diane has good stock and can better tell you the origins of her stock.I doubt there is any Marans blood in most lavenders.No Marans blood in mine as I got my start from John and have not added any Marans blood.Feather legs and very dark olive eggs would be the result.It would take several generations to get rid of those traits.

Harry Shaffer also started the lavender project about the same time using an orpington type bird.  I believe he found that bird at a swap.

I know it was NOT an orp. I think he said it was an EE.

John Blehm had already established the lavender bantams and was working on the LF either before me or at the same time not sure the exact dates. This color was his concept in reality which escalated into almost every breed now in the US. The exception was the lavenders AKA self blue bantams that were already established and the illusive self blue large game fowl which were very scarce. I had one of these but it had a lot of bleeding of red/orange coloring in her, so after acquiring a foundation pair cancelled in using her.

I acquired a pair of birds that layed blue eggs, were large with resembleance of orpington type, also had crests, muffs and beards with the lavender gene. This pair was used for my large fowl ameraucanas and araucanas and also were used to create lavender Orpingtons. All my lavenders of the three breeds were established from this original pair. They had white skin also not yellow. Hope this clarifies some questions since everyone has the curiosity where various breeds or colors were created.

I'm new to breeding but not new to chickens in general. I bought some Lavender Ameraucana eggs from Diane (faykoko) and I got a good hatch last Thursday/Friday. They are beautiful so far. I just read in the above posts that Marans were crossed with the Ameraucanas to get this color? So essentially, these aren't full-blooded Ameraucanas anymore, but easter eggers?
wee.gif

WELCOME to BYC and to the Lavender Ameraucana's
There is a lot to learn and this is a good place to start. Keep asking and read, read and then read some more.
Go to The Ameraucana breeders club for more information http://ameraucana.org/forum

John Blehm had already established the lavender bantams and was working on the LF either before me or at the same time not sure the exact dates. This color was his concept in reality which escalated into almost every breed now in the US. The exception was the lavenders AKA self blue bantams that were already established and the illusive self blue large game fowl which were very scarce. I had one of these but it had a lot of bleeding of red/orange coloring in her, so after acquiring a foundation pair cancelled in using her.

I acquired a pair of birds that layed blue eggs, were large with resembleance of orpington type, also had crests, muffs and beards with the lavender gene. This pair was used for my large fowl ameraucanas and araucanas and also were used to create lavender Orpingtons. All my lavenders of the three breeds were established from this original pair. They had white skin also not yellow. Hope this clarifies some questions since everyone has the curiosity where various breeds or colors were created.

Thank you. This post should be a sticky.

Last edited:
My first chicks from a broody hen :)

Awww, isn't that just ADORABLE!!! I love watching my broody OEGB hens with their babies...such good Mommies.
Mine are slowly getting more socialized...I had a hard time getting the boys to respect the 3-day rule of "leave them be" but now they like to be held and cooed to. We're starting the pallet breakdown this coming weekend to assess how much wood/which plan we're going with for building. Only 6 total hatched, but all 6 are gorgeous little fluffy faces and the splits have beautiful markings already. I'll take some better photos today.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom