Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Here is my one and only Lavender at 10 weeks. Still not sure if I have a pullett or a cockerel.

Nothing jumps out as cockerel on this one so far...

Does anyone know of anyone that has some nice Lavenders with good feathers and muffs?

I got mine from John Blehm in Michigan: fowlstuff.com
They are really nice, but not quite as nice as his blacks. I don't think the feathering of the (current) lavenders can ever be as nice as the pure blacks because the genetics of lavender and soft feathering seem to create some problems. I wonder if lavender Orps suffer from the same thing, or if with enough intensive breeding this can be overcome.

I got mine from John Blehm in Michigan: fowlstuff.com
They are really nice, but not quite as nice as his blacks. I don't think the feathering of the (current) lavenders can ever be as nice as the pure blacks because the genetics of lavender and soft feathering seem to create some problems. I wonder if lavender Orps suffer from the same thing, or if with enough intensive breeding this can be overcome.

I'll go check them out. Thank you very much!

Does anyone know of anyone that has some nice Lavenders with good feathers and muffs?

Mine came from John Blehm also. Very happy with them. As dheltzel mentions, Lavenders have a gene which makes for soft feathers that shred easily. All serious breeders are working to improve feather quality. The ones I have from John are much better than one I got from another source a couple years ago.

It is an ongoing process and goal for all Lavender owners. IMHO

They are also the sweetest natured pullets and cockerels around here (10 mo old now)

Mine came from John Blehm also. Very happy with them. As dheltzel mentions, Lavenders have a gene which makes for soft feathers that shred easily. All serious breeders are working to improve feather quality. The ones I have from John are much better than one I got from another source a couple years ago.

It is an ongoing process and goal for all Lavender owners. IMHO

They are also the sweetest natured pullets and cockerels around here  (10 mo old now)

Do you have pictures?

Here is one of the LF lavender cockerels I'm using as a breeder this year.

Here are some in an outside breeding pen, including a few lavender/black "split" pullets.

Back
Top Bottom