Lavender Ameraucana Pullet or Cockerel?

MamaCheepie

Chirping
May 27, 2019
Hello! I have a 14 week old lavender Ameraucana that has me somewhat stumped. Face and comb are more red than my other Ameraucana. I’m having trouble deciding on the hackle and saddle feathers because they look somewhat like they may have the “shredder” gene so it’s hard to tell. What do you all think, Pullet or cockerel?
E8321DC7-9902-4B11-84FB-2B6D367E585B.jpeg
0F8D9017-C14E-4DE8-A127-30A727195FCB.jpeg
0E3C7807-4B73-4059-BDB2-062F555EA026.jpeg
0A60DA7B-C117-4AC6-A146-3099EBF771C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a pullet to me, but I am not an expert. I had a lavender Ameraucana roo (my favorite bird I ever had - was devastated when he passed) and at that age, he had arched tail feathers by then and larger/redder comb. BUT...they can surprised us. :)

They really do surprise us! Some days I’m convinced this one is a cockerel and then other days it’s totally behaving like a pullet. We aren’t allowed roosters in my city, so I’m hoping it doesn’t start crowing!

It could be a pullet that's experiencing a bit of gender confusion! I read a very interesting article about this phenomenon. It's not unusual for this to occur in an all female group of chickens or ducks. Sometimes a hen will take on male behaviors and even male appearances.
Evidently mother nature has a back up plan to ensure the continuity of the species! Females are genetically capable of changing their gender! It doesn't always happen in an all female group, but when it does it can be anything from just a behavioral transformation, to a complete transformation with full reproductive capabilities! ......

It could be a pullet that's experiencing a bit of gender confusion! I read a very interesting article about this phenomenon. It's not unusual for this to occur in an all female group of chickens or ducks. Sometimes a hen will take on male behaviors and even male appearances.
Evidently mother nature has a back up plan to ensure the continuity of the species! Females are genetically capable of changing their gender! It doesn't always happen in an all female group, but when it does it can be anything from just a behavioral transformation, to a complete transformation with full reproductive capabilities! ......

I think I read about that somewhere. It sounds so interesting.
We’ve got a couple of roosters in our flock, already. I wonder, can gender confusion happen even if its not an all-female flock?

Back
Top Bottom