This is why I don't work with lavender. You don't have to read all of it. The posts with the pictures say everything.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=88090&page=all
Thank you for the reference, I read over a handful of forums and think I have a decent understanding of the feather quality issues associated with the Lavender gene so I know that these chicks may have poor feather quality but I really want to try something new & interesting with my flock. The parent flock is gorgeous so I still have hope that their feather quality will greatly improve after the first molt. I’ll be sure to keep them in a pen that keeps them out of direct sunlight and feed them a high-protein feed. I have an excellent black hen and a really nice black cockerel to breed them to so that I can improve feather quality if/when the time comes.

Thank you for the reference, I read over a handful of forums and think I have a decent understanding of the feather quality issues associated with the Lavender gene so I know that these chicks may have poor feather quality but I really want to try something new & interesting with my flock. The parent flock is gorgeous so I still have hope that their feather quality will greatly improve after the first molt. I’ll be sure to keep them in a pen that keeps them out of direct sunlight and feed them a high-protein feed. I have an excellent black hen and a really nice black cockerel to breed them to so that I can improve feather quality if/when the time comes.
:thumbsup not all Lavenders have feather problems. Many do though. :confused:

Thought I’d update y’all: the chicks are fully feathered & their feathers look a lot cleaner and better quality & THEY’RE BOTH COCKERELS SO I’M ECSTATIC

53696642_10156132270033148_673972959647367168_n.jpg
Posting a quick photo of my new four Lavenders! One is really a little runt of the 4. I have a huge BS Ameraucana Rooster who is extremely aggressive with me. I am gonna see if any of these 4 (though I ordered females) are a Roo, and may get rid of my big boy to a friend. Anyone have an opinion on the temperament of a Lavender Roo vs my big boy BS Ameracauna?

The color/mutation of the bird has little to no bearing on the temperament. Just as people are individuals, so are chickens. You'll just have to hope that one of the younger birds has a better temperament and personality.

Great info thanks!! Perhaps if I hold or carry a new one (if one of the 4 is), and handle it a lot more it will be better. I hope. I love my guy, but he really is a bruiser, literally!!! Tried staring him down, shouting, just turning and walking away. Standing stock still works sometimes but that is not very productive! Any other suggestions are welcome, except carrying him around which during the day he will not allow!!!

I've only had a few aggressive roosters. And only kept one of them (bantams not included because honestly I'm more afraid of me stepping on them than them hurting me). I'd just let him charge and scoop him up like a football and carry him around while I fed and watered. He hated it. But I'd baby talk him, and when I was done and my other hand free I'd rub his wattles and cheeks, and generally dote on him. Once he finally calmed down enough to enjoy it I'd let him go and he'd huff off all offended and go be masculine in front of the hens where I'm sure they teased him about "going to the spa" or some other nonsense and he had to pretend he didn't really like it. lol

Back
Top Bottom