Lavender and Blue genes - cross outcome?

The blue gene & lavender genes are not linked so I see no reason for the presence of one to make a greater probability of also having the other. There is a darker grey form of lavender, probably the effects of melanisers. You will soon know if they are really blue by the way the gene behaves when you breed it.

Thank you :) I guess I will have to see how they feather out and if they breed like normal Blues...

Still find it really odd!

Blues can be so dark as to look black.

The Blacks I am working with are very Black with a nice greenish sheen to them so I can't imagine how a Blue could look like that.

Could there be any other explanation how I got these 2 Blue chicks? Could it be some unknown recessive gene popping up?

Just to add a little more info I am working on the Silkied feather Ameraucana project- long story short 2 pure Ameraucanas popped up with silkied type feathering a few years back to a BYC member named Jubaby (It is believed to have been a spontaneous mutation and not crossed with Silkies since they have no Silkie traits whatsoever). A couple of us are trying to get them established and increase their hardiness since they were genetically very weak and likely inbred.

I crossed them to my Lavender stock to establish them in Lavender. I am currently working with smooth feather Black birds all split to Lavender and split to silkied feathering. Hatching Blacks and Lavenders in both smooth and silkied feathering as expected but these 2 unexpected Blue chicks really confused me. I am wondering if those original mutated birds could also have some other strange recessive genes at play here
hmm.png

This is a few of my Silkied Feather Lavender Ameraucana babies hatching

Here is one of the Blues (?) that hatched

Just thought it was really strange and someone could tell me maybe a Lavender was also carrying Blue or something like that
hu.gif

I am working with both Blue and Lavender birds currently in three breeds. The colors look similar, but the color "lavender" is really the "splash" on the Blue chart if you compare charts, not the "blue". The "blue" in the Lavender chart is the "black split" which looks exactly the same as "black." Because of this, I am not sure what kind of mess this would make crossing the genetics of Blues and Lavenders.

Currently I am breeding Blue Laced Red Wyandottes to Silver Laced Wyandottes with the below results hoped for.

If you take the splash color hens in the Blues and cross with a Silver Laced rooster, it creates a "blue lace" without the red (mine are 3 months now and no red leakage yet). Hens from this cross are then bred back to silver to produce a "platinum lace or violet lace as it has been called" (below are not my birds- color is only in England and Australia as far as I can find).

The laced feather brings an interesting and complicated twist to the project, but results so far are promising.

I am lucky that there is a silver laced to cross into the blue which "fixes" the blue to a consistent color (in theory), and that there is lacing in both contributors. The next generation will tell the tale.

You will always get the splash and black if you breed blue to blue. If you only want the blue variety when breeding Blues, take a black rooster from your Blue breedings and breed to all splash hens (or visa versa). Per the chart, that produces 100% blue.

Back
Top Bottom