Lavender and Blue genes - cross outcome?

Had my first chick come out of its egg today! Super excited it's a normal looking chick since this is my first hatch. I've read thru this thread and I am still lost :/
I was given some black ameraucana hens. A friend down the road breeds blue, spash and black. I have lavenders and I took a lav rooster to the two black hens. The first egg that hatched is one of their babies but it looks splash? I was expecting a black chick but now I'm thinking my black hens have blue in them? Is this little chick a split? I'm certain since ol daddy is all lavender but how did the splash show up? I wish I could post pics!!! I'm on a cell and can't ever get pics to post. It's a cutie tho with its micro-beard :p

Had my first chick come out of its egg today! Super excited it's a normal looking chick since this is my first hatch. I've read thru this thread and I am still lost :/
I was given some black ameraucana hens. A friend down the road breeds blue, spash and black. I have lavenders and I took a lav rooster to the two black hens. The first egg that hatched is one of their babies but it looks splash? I was expecting a black chick but now I'm thinking my black hens have blue in them? Is this little chick a split? I'm certain since ol daddy is all lavender but how did the splash show up? I wish I could post pics!!! I'm on a cell and can't ever get pics to post. It's a cutie tho with its micro-beard :p
If your black hens had the blue gene you would know. They wouldn't be black - one copy of blue dilutes black to blue, 2 copies dilutes black to splash.

The chick cannot be splash either. Lavender x black results in black splits. Even if by chance your hens were actually dark blue instead of black you would only get blue or black offspring. Splash isn't a possibility.

Where did you get the black hens? They could be lavender splits. Or less likely they carry recessive white.

Thank you soooo much for your response! I know he doesn't have lavenders. I told him about happening upon some and he was impressed I got ahold of some around here :D the only reason I even started with lavenders is because of the hens he gave me. I love their beards!! This is the first chick that hatched and it's about completely dry. I'm up in the barn right now but I believe she's got white or real light, maybe yellow?? markings on wings and beard. I'm going to google some chick pics in a sec if I can get my phone to load. I'm pretty tired with all the eggcitment and my guinea escapade. I want to say my black girls have a purple sheen. I don't know much about blues but what they produce and I understand how splits come about. I was expecting a solid black chick with lav gene

Just googled! Hens are totally black. The white markings threw me! I've 1. Never hatched any babies and 2. My lavs were the only diddles I've seen as far as ameraucana goes and I totally forgot about the white lol. I'm tickled to death and I hope this little fella makes it! All my blue eggs are "small" compared to my 3yr old leghorn eggs (monstrous). I was afraid of a tiny helpless chick coming from such a tiny egg but it's not much smaller (if at all) than the leghorns that have hatched now. All I want to do is hatch ameraucanas and guineas but since my leghorns are so "old" I figured it was a good time to try and replenish. Now if I can get ahold of some guinea eggs :D

I read its best to breed a black roo over lav hens to get splits is that true? I wanna breed a lav roo to blue and black hens would the chicks be split? Then breed the chicks back to lav to hopefully get lav chicks

I read its best to breed a black roo over lav hens to get splits is that true? I wanna breed a lav roo to blue and black hens would the chicks be split? Then breed the chicks back to lav to hopefully get lav chicks

Idk why it would make a difference whether it was a lavender rooster over black hens or a black rooster over lavender hens.I'd have to say its not true.
Yes your breeding would produce all split chicks and yes when bred back to the lavender you would get about 1/2 lavender and the other half would be splits.
I'd stay away from crossing blues and lavenders. It would be fine for your first cross but of those offspring I would
discard any blue chicks and just work with the black splits and lavender from then on.

I guess that's what im not understanding is what those negative issues are. I do see that the colors will look the same though. I don't understand why that would not be desirable. Thanks for taking the time to write back. I have asked google this question and yahoo lol, and this is the only answer that the whole world has never been able to answer for me. :)
I do understand working on the lav to work out issues and problems...so don't people do this by crossing the lav to blacks on occasion? I know the answer is yes. Leaking colors, bad toes, eyes whatever the problem may be...I understand breeding for character traits, I do it in plants as well. I understand color combinations and possibilities. Why is this one still so vague and unanswered? Does anyone else agree and see my point? I am new to chicken breeding but not to understanding breeding programs and genetics. This is a new hobby for me. I'm three years into it and this is the first year I have seen results of all my hard work. I should have been reading all 3 of those years but I didn't. Im just realizing the potentials in what im doing. I don't mean to be short or seem flip with response or intend to beat a dead horse but the overall information online about this is stuff is so limited. So thank you to this forum for teaching me all I know. lol

I think all this is coming from my intrigue with Isabel colors...uniform tone and very mute, creamy and pastel, but still glowing. And I know what to do to get it and I do have a breeding plan, (hope im not hijacking a thread here, but I wanted to ask the same question as the OP did) I've read the color genetics threads for the porcelains, lavenders, isabels, buffs, all of it. I think the blue cream when done right is just as striking so I wanna see what I can do with those as well but people disagree on if they should have a pattern or not. Well, that andalusian blue has the pattern we need for that, so there again, is my question about using this blue instead of the blacks. I am starting to think the only way I learn is to experience it. My wacky ideas are usually ridiculous anyways and I realize then 'I shoulda listened' lol
Was curious as to how the chickens are doing now that it's years later? Have you been able to get the beautiful colors in the chickens you have wanted? I hope so and also hope to see your pictures of the beautiful colors you have achieved thus far.

Back
Top Bottom