Lavender barred rock wanted

littlemissbatam

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Hi umm I can't find any lavender barred rocks please help
1f622.png
:(:(:(

I have a splash barred rock. It appears they lose the barring when this happens, but she is solid lavender and gorgeous. Just over 2 months old now (in these photos) so we'll have to wait a little while to see what she looks like as a grown-up.

She shares a pen with two Marans, a Sapphire and their bunny mama... just so you can know for comparison sake in the photos (she's in the background in the last photo).

I hope this helps!

Carol
http://feathersandfun.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Lavender orpington rooster, barred Rock hen if I'm wrong in thinking that's how it works please educate me.
blazing saddles no GIF

First of all, crossing two breeds together doesn't mean the offspring are pure. They are neither Orpingtons nor Plymouth Rocks. They are mixed. So you can't call the Plymouth Barred Rocks either.

Second of all, Lavender is recessive (and dilutes black). None of the F1 offspring will be visually Lavender. In order to be Lavender, a bird must have two copies of the gene. Like their father. Since he is only able to give one copy Lavender) of the gene to his chicks and the mother only gives one copy (Black) of the gene to her chicks, the chicks will all appear Black with barring.

Barring is more complicated and hens only need one copy to be barred while males need two. @The Moonshiner or @Amer can explain that way better than I can. I don't fool with barred birds.

blazing saddles no GIF

First of all, crossing two breeds together doesn't mean the offspring are pure. They are neither Orpingtons nor Plymouth Rocks. They are mixed. So you can't call the Plymouth Barred Rocks either.

Second of all, Lavender is recessive (and dilutes black). None of the F1 offspring will be visually Lavender. In order to be Lavender, a bird must have two copies of the gene. Like their father. Since he is only able to give one copy Lavender) of the gene to his chicks and the mother only gives one copy (Black) of the gene to her chicks, the chicks will all appear Black with barring.

Barring is more complicated and hens only need one copy to be barred while males need two. @The Moonshiner or @Amer can explain that way better than I can. I don't fool with barred birds.
Males are lighter due to carrying two copies of the barring gene. Barring is carried on the Z sex chromosome so because males have two Z chromozomes they can carry 0-2 barring genes. Female have one Z chromosome, so can only carry 0-1. The barring gene is a restrictor gene.

It’s impossible to change the color of the white as barring restricts the pigment depositing on and off while the feathers grows. Having two copies of the barring gene restricts the pigment for longer, creating wider white bars, leading males to appear lighter. Because the white is there due to lack of pigment you cannot change the color.

Colt is correct that lav is recessive, so both parents must carry it for the offspring to express it.

I'm glad I stumbled across your explanation here. Is the barring explanation limited only to these breeds? I'm asking because I've got a couple of chicks that came out black with barring. This came from a splash-colored Blue Andalusian mother. I assumed the father is my Cream Legbar rooster which would explain the barring, but I also have two Ameraucana roosters - one black and one lavender.

If the chick did come from the CL rooster, would I be correct in assuming it's a girl since I know the mother shouldn't have a barring gene?
Barring is dominant, so the CLB is the father.

That cross will not be sexlinked. You can only get a black sexlink with a barred mother x non-barred male, not the other way around.

Feamles have one Z chromosome and males have two. Meaning a male passes each of his offspring a Z chromosome, then the female will either pass the offspring a W (making it female) or a Z (doubling up the Zs and making is male)

Black sexlinks work by the father passing each offspring no barring genes, and then the mother passing a W to each of the daughters, locking in the non-barred trait, and a Z (with the barring gene) to each of her sons giving them barring, which will show because it is dominant.

Back
Top Bottom