Lavender cochin roo--what color hen do I need?

1Chick Magnet

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
New Hampshire
I have a bunch of bantam chicks that are about two and a half weeks old right now. Some of these will be my new breeding stock for next year.
I am trying to figure out who to keep. I like a rainbow flock but don't want to breed a bunch of black chicks. I like lacing and mottled and speckled. here is a list of the colors I think I will be choosing from. the breed is cochin. the question is--what color rooster do I keep to get the best variety of colors to come through in the offspring?

blue
black
splash
lavender
white
partridge
silver laced
gold laced
buff

I don't think there are any mottled or red
A friend of mine has millie fleur so that is a possibility too.

any advice would be appreicated

Last edited:
I have a bunch of bantam chicks that are about two and a half weeks old right now. Some of these will be my new breeding stock for next year.
I am trying to figure out who to keep. I like a rainbow flock but don't want to breed a bunch of black chicks. I like lacing and mottled and speckled. here is a list of the colors I think I will be choosing from. the breed is cochin. the question is--what color rooster do I keep to get the best variety of colors to come through in the offspring?

blue
black
splash
lavender
white
partridge
silver laced
gold laced
buff

I don't think there are any mottled or red
A friend of mine has millie fleur so that is a possibility too.

any advice would be appreicated
Ignoring all other genes that could mess with the outcome, lavender x blue would give half blue, half black, all carrying lavender as a hidden gene. Lavender x splash would be all blue, with lavender hidden.

Lavender x lavender should be all lavender.

Lavender x partidge would be either all black or all partridge (or even 50/50), depending on the base (e-alleles) of the lavender.

Lavender x white is a complete guess, other than likely not lavender or white.

The laced birds will depend on the e-alleles of both parents. Lacing is likely, but probably not as good as in laced parent. Any lavender is unlikely.

Buff would likely have more smut than on buff parent, and outcome would depend on whether the lavender has silver, gold or golden ground.

Mottling is recessive, so mottle or mille fleur is unlikely in offspring.

these are 2 adults I have. she is lavender and he is splash. is there a lavender splash? he is the same color as her but with splash markings.

all chicks are hatchery stock. one of the chicks look like a lavender roo. the 2 in the photo are young. I haven't hatched anything from them yet.

Ignoring all other genes that could mess with the outcome, lavender x blue would give half blue, half black, all carrying lavender as a hidden gene. Lavender x splash would be all blue, with lavender hidden.

Lavender x lavender should be all lavender.

Lavender x partidge would be either all black or all partridge (or even 50/50), depending on the base (e-alleles) of the lavender.

Lavender x white is a complete guess, other than likely not lavender or white.

The laced birds will depend on the e-alleles of both parents. Lacing is likely, but probably not as good as in laced parent. Any lavender is unlikely.

Buff would likely have more smut than on buff parent, and outcome would depend on whether the lavender has silver, gold or golden ground.

Mottling is recessive, so mottle or mille fleur is unlikely in offspring.

Back
Top Bottom