Lavender Crele

20200517_161953.jpg

As you can probably tell...This is a male.. Lavender Crele..we call him Popeye; he was an assisted hatch.
He was stuck inside the egg for a couple days and decided to help him out....once I discovered he hadn't absorbed his yolk ,I then put him back in the incubator and decided to wait it out...I contacted ChicKat she said to wait it out... it was touch-and-go in my mind...he laid on his left side for quite a bit..but after he absorbed his yolk,and was well rested I peeked into the incubator and he was running around inside the hatcher like nothing happened... although his left eye was 80% closed....and he had the outie up until yesterday, it finally dried up and dropped...his left eye is normal now opens up fully.. he's feisty running around he's got an attitude so we figured the Popeye moniker was appropriate.
I have to add if it wasn't for ChicKat's mentoring it would have been a much more difficult situation. I have assisted in dozens of parrot hatchings previously but to me a chicken was way way different the egg yolk was almost as big as a chick the ones I've seen in parrots on the hatch dates parrot yolks look like peas... totally different scenario ....

Here are some pics.

I'm trying to find a picture of it with the huge yolk next to it it was gruesome and disturbing; but I thought I'd push through;since I already opened the can of worms... I've been through this before with some parrots...but I could only find these.

The little bubble between the legs is the yolk after one day of absorption after I discovered it...notice the already drying umbilical cord...

20200430_063620.jpg

This is the day after the above pic...it broke off on its own and resting...
Dish and Sponge there since lockdown...
THANKS FOR THE PRO TIP CHICKAT!!!!!
20200430_124428.jpg

Here is Popeye with his outie the day he was transferred to his brooder.He was kept separate from his sister should she get any ideas about his left eye or protuding outie.
Another pro tip from ChicKat!

JPEG_20200430_183631_7695829860056598774.jpg

This is Popeye today...

20200524_113449.jpg

20200524_113454.jpg

Attachments

• 20200524_113454.jpg
    20200524_113454.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
As you can probably tell...This is a male.. Lavender Crele..we call him Popeye; he was an assisted hatch.
He was stuck inside the egg for a couple days and decided to help him out....once I discovered he hadn't absorbed his yolk ,I then put him back in the incubator and decided to wait it out...I contacted ChicKat she said to wait it out... it was touch-and-go in my mind...he laid on his left side for quite a bit..but after he absorbed his yolk,and was well rested I peeked into the incubator and he was running around inside the hatcher like nothing happened... although his left eye was 80% closed....and he had the outie up until yesterday, it finally dried up and dropped...his left eye is normal now opens up fully.. he's feisty running around he's got an attitude so we figured the Popeye moniker was appropriate.
I have to add if it wasn't for ChicKat's mentoring it would have been a much more difficult situation. I have assisted in dozens of parrot hatchings previously but to me a chicken was way way different the egg yolk was almost as big as a chick the ones I've seen in parrots on the hatch dates parrot yolks look like peas... totally different scenario ....

Here are some pics.

I'm trying to find a picture of it with the huge yolk next to it it was gruesome and disturbing; but I thought I'd push through;since I already opened the can of worms... I've been through this before with some parrots...but I could only find these.

The little bubble between the legs is the yolk after one day of absorption after I discovered it...notice the already drying umbilical cord...

View attachment 2157499

This is the day after the above pic...it broke off on its own and resting...
Dish and Sponge there since lockdown...
THANKS FOR THE PRO TIP CHICKAT!!!!!
View attachment 2157505

Here is Popeye with his outie the day he was transferred to his brooder.He was kept separate from his sister should she get any ideas about his left eye or protuding outie.
Another pro tip from ChicKat!

View attachment 2157535

This is Popeye today...

View attachment 2157466

View attachment 2157520
Really looking forward to watching these chicks grow out. Miami Leghorns -- your environments are so clean, and your waterers too. You should see mine (not)!!!

One hen was showing some wear and tear on her back. I decided to despur "Handsome Dude" -
P1090707.JPG

First time he was despurred, I believe. He was in someone else's care for about 9-12 months. He behaved like a perfect gentleman, only squawked once when I was causing him pain in my process.
So while being handled, it's a good time to deworm. I use Cydectin pour on for cattle and put 1-drop per pound of bird on that bald spot where the wing attaches to the body. That spot has no feathers to interfere.

So, I weighed him, and the hens, and subsequently the juvenile boys.
He weighed in at 7-pounds exactly.
One female was 5-pounds exactly and one was about 4 pounds 6 ounces.

The juvie boys were 3 pounds 2oz, two of them right on 3 pounds and one smaller coming in at about 2 pounds and a half.
Not only are the boys getting better at crowing, their 'red' is beginning to show up in their plumage.
IMG_20200523_072030887[1].jpg

You can see the colors on this cockerel's back.
IMG_20200523_071237217_BURST000_COVER_TOP[1].jpg

The above shot shows the juvie's full range of colors. A phone shot --and my arm wasn't quite long enough to get beak to tip-of-tail in he shot.
One thing I like that is really a selection factor for me in both males and females is a contrast where the body color and the hackle color are different shades.
This close up shows a bit more of what I mean.
IMG_20200523_065941584[1].jpg

Maybe it's the way the barring expresses on the neck hackles, or maybe there really is a lighter shade in the neck hackles than the feathering on this little guy's body. It's more definite in some of the females. I'll work on getting some of those pics later.
So while despurring and deworming - I found some feather mites on the rear of the rooster. So everyone who's been wormed has had their butt dusted with DE, and their coop cleaned and they should be OK. The juvie girls are in a different pen -- and that is something on the TO do list. It really is insect season in South East TX. Everything is out in swarms now. Ticks, mosquitos, ants - I've got ants in the dog biscuits - ugh! -- You name it they are starting to do their creepy crawly stuff, and -- this is just the beginning of 'bug season' here. This is when It would be nice to have a chicken wrangler to assist with getting good picts.

Back
Top Bottom