Lavender cuckoo easter egger

I got some lav cuckoo project eggs from a Happy Mountain and I have one that is starting out lav and light yellow chipmunk. We'll wait and see but could be like the cuckoo marans.:)

Last edited:
I know you did good:) I'll try and get a new pic today feathers are coming in gorgeous but too early to tell what we've got. The reg cuckoo from the first batch is turning out nice it will be a good project helper. The little lav chick looks like a hen, I'm still not counting her out as a cuckoo just a wait and see, so fun.

I may be understanding this wrong, so please correct me (it's early in the am and my brain went into a cramp as I was reading this thread-not sure what "split to lav" means
caf.gif

If I breed my cuckoo marans hens with a lavender ameraucana roo...

Will the boys all be barred for sexing?
What are the percentages of cuckoo lavenders?

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself anyway, but the lav cuckoo bird was beautiful and got me to thinking of breeding some myself. My pullets are very young yet, so this will be a project for next year, but I want to start writing down breeding ideas so I don't forget!

Thanks for any help!

I may be understanding this wrong, so please correct me (it's early in the am and my brain went into a cramp as I was reading this thread-not sure what "split to lav" means
caf.gif

If I breed my cuckoo marans hens with a lavender ameraucana roo...

Will the boys all be barred for sexing?
What are the percentages of cuckoo lavenders?

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself anyway, but the lav cuckoo bird was beautiful and got me to thinking of breeding some myself. My pullets are very young yet, so this will be a project for next year, but I want to start writing down breeding ideas so I don't forget!

Thanks for any help!
If you breed your marans hens with a lav roo, you will get sex linked babies, (males barred) and all split for lavender. They are carrying the lavender gene. You will not get any lavender cuckoo until you breed the boys back to a lavender, and then you will get a percentage of lav, lav cuckoo, regular cuckoo, and I think black. I used a cuckoo-spli-for-lav roo over lav, split, and black hens and I only got a few actual lav cuckoo.
BoggyBottomBantams has a good breakdown a few pages back as to what you might expect.

Back
Top Bottom