Lavender oppington pullet or not?

Samweber94

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2019
Hi all, I got this little chicken from the sexed pullet bin at a local store for $40!! but the way she's developing makes me think she might be a boy. I think she is 5 or six weeks old. Any input?
20200212_055713.jpg
20200212_055712.jpg
20200212_055702.jpg

I’ll go out on a limb and say I’m not convinced it’s a pullet. Especially an orpington at 5-6 weeks. That’s one of the few breeds I won’t even make many guesses on until 12+ weeks. I’ve had multiple orpingtons reveal themselves only after the 12-ish week molt if they’re patterned and far later if they’re solid colored. Odds are good since it was a sexed chick, but, I’d be questioning it like you are....

I’ll go out on a limb and say I’m not convinced it’s a pullet. Especially an orpington at 5-6 weeks. That’s one of the few breeds I won’t even make many guesses on until 12+ weeks. I’ve had multiple orpingtons reveal themselves only after the 12-ish week molt if they’re patterned and far later if they’re solid colored. Odds are good since it was a sexed chick, but, I’d be questioning it like you are....

lol, You have had your fair share of sneaky Orpington roosters this year haven't you. :lau
On a positive note for the thread poster, American bloodline Orpingtons are usually easier to sex than the English bloodlines. I can almost always tell by 5-6 weeks BUT they are right in my face so I'm able to see behavior as well.

Here’s a
lol, You have had your fair share of sneaky Orpington roosters this year haven't you. :lau
On a positive note for the thread poster, American bloodline Orpingtons are usually easier to sex than the English bloodlines. I can almost always tell by 5-6 weeks BUT they are right in my face so I'm able to see behavior as well.
I’ve only had one hatchery/American bloodline so I have zero point of reference. Great point. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom