Lavender Orpington chicks?

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Just recently bought two English Lavender Orpingtons from a breeder, they are beautiful and very large birds but when I hatched eggs from them I had some chicks that were yellow! I’m thinking they may have been mixed in the past. Does anyone know why this might be happening? The pictures are of my hen and rooster I bought and of the chicks I hatched from them.
0912A337-AF11-4E30-9A89-4802E3DD0D5C.jpeg
8652BE52-E2B7-4FC5-B66F-D586A4E720DD.jpeg
BFE3A499-4A05-49FE-A80B-0FEE3BD74A67.jpeg

I'm wondering If your lavs have some Isabel in them. Your hen looks like she might. Whether you can breed it out, you can try to breed these 2 lav chicks back to their father, assuming at least one is a girl.

Isabels are still Orpington and highly sought after as a unique color among Orpington breeders and others who want an orps with just a unique color.

I would grow out the 2 blonde ones to see what they feather in as. Sometimes down color can be very misleading. I know 2 silver laced orp breeders who have had completely chocolate chicks hatch that were from slo parents, yet the chicks feathered in as slo.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm wondering If your lavs have some Isabel in them. Your hen looks like she might. Whether you can breed it out, you can try to breed these 2 lav chicks back to their father, assuming at least one is a girl.

Isabels are still Orpington and highly sought after as a unique color among Orpington breeders and others who want an orps with just a unique color.

I would grow out the 2 blonde ones to see what they feather in as. Sometimes down color can be very misleading. I know 2 silver laced top breeders who have had completely chocolate chicks hatch that were from slow parents, yet the chicks feathered in as slo.

Hope this helps.
Okay, thanks! I talked to the breeder about it and she said she has some that hatched white like that and they were just very light lavender, almost white. But I didn’t know lavender could work that way, I’ve never seen anyone else who hatched yellow/white chicks from lavenders. I’m just hoping they aren’t mixed because I paid a good amount for them. But I’m definitely going to keep the yellow color ones to see how they turn out, I wish it was Isabel they are beautiful but I would think the breeder would know about it but who knows, could be.

Back
Top Bottom