Kai98

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Hello! I have:
1 Lavender Orpington rooster
2 chocolate Orpington pullets
1 buff Orpington pullet
3 barred rock pullets
I’ve been looking for lavender hens/pullets but I’m having zero luck.
Has anyone crossed these breeds with Lav Orpington & if so, do you have pictures, pros+cons, etc?
Also, are there any other breeds that would be a good/interesting mix?

Hello! I have:
1 buff Orpington pullet
3 barred rock pullets
Has anyone crossed these breeds with Lav Orpington & if so, do you have pictures, pros+cons, etc?

Your lavender rooster over the barrel rock I think will make sex linked birds- all black females and barred males? Possibly makes with a white dot on their heads. I’ll try to find a source for that to confirm the barring genetics. It would be very beneficial for you as a breeder/seller to be able to ensure hens or roosters! They should be great layers too.

Lavender can be crossed back to a black Orpington to prevent dilution when breeding.
“Lavender is an autosomal gene which means that as it is not sex linked it is inherited
the same way on both male and female birds.

It is also recessive so both parents need to carry the Lavender gene for the chicks to
visually show Lavender so a bird with only one Lavender gene will not show the
Lavender color but can be used to breed Lavender.

Lavender breeds true so Lavender bred to Lavender will always produce Lavender.

Lavender can also be used to create new shades and colors as it is a diluting gene as
long as the bird is carrying two doses of Lavender . All black coloring will become
Lavender and any red pigment will dilute to a straw colour.

Lavender x Lavender = Lavender

Lavender x Black = 100% Black split Lavender

Lavender X Split = 50% Lavender, 50% Split offspring

Black split Lavender x Black split Lavender = 25% Lavender/ 50% Black split
Lavender/ 25% Black”

My Lavender roo and buff (golden) hen cross chick at 12 weeks old...
BF1B4774-0140-4280-B0DF-F701E86405CC.jpeg

She does have slight green shine to her black foliage when the sun hits her just right. ... mom and dad below....
50A4BD57-2121-4BE9-A1F1-E175F4EFCE20.jpeg

Hello! I have:
1 buff Orpington pullet
3 barred rock pullets
Lavender x chocolate - all chicks will be black and carry lavender but not express it, only males will carry the chocolate gene (without expressing it)

Lavender x buff - black with buff leakage (carrying lavender), will likely look like @PapaRo ’s pullet

Lavender x barred (rock) - black pullets and black barred cockerels, all carrying lavender

PapaRo, If you cross your 12 week old chick (top picture gold and black, and beautiful*) back to your lavendorp rooster, will the offispring have more faded colors and have chicks that - where they would have otherwise been black is now gray and lighter gold? Does that make sense?

I'm so interested in the lavender crossing. I can't wait for our roosters to mature so I can cross them with our hens of various breeds.
About half of the offspring of that cross would be lavender. They may have less gold than the first generation lavender x buff, but they will probably still have some gold.

My Lavender roo and buff (golden) hen cross chick at 12 weeks old... View attachment 2603550

She does have slight green shine to her black foliage when the sun hits her just right. ... mom and dad below....
View attachment 2603560
PapaRo, If you cross your 12 week old chick (top picture gold and black, and beautiful*) back to your lavendorp rooster, will the offispring have more faded colors and have chicks that - where they would have otherwise been black is now gray and lighter gold? Does that make sense?

I'm so interested in the lavender crossing. I can't wait for our roosters to mature so I can cross them with our hens of various breeds.

I crossed my blue EE with a red saddle, and feather legs over...

NN-black=some NN black chickens, more regular neck, black chickens.
bantam light brahma=smaller black chicken
Blue blue bell egger=large blue chicks
LO=blue chickens
blue copper marans=black chicks.

Some had feathered legs some didn't.

12p.PNG

Back
Top Bottom