agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
Just wanted to show off my first eggs we’ve gotten in two months since my silkie hen went broody and hatched her chick. My lavender orpington laid her first egg yesterday in the nesting box and laid a slightly bigger one today in another nesting box! She’s about 22-23 weeks so it’s about time!
9E452072-5C24-4BB3-B6F2-4A8875DBF036.jpeg

Here are the lav and my EE who’s the same age and her comb has been big for about a month but we haven’t found any blue/green eggs from her yet. We’re going to lock her in the coop and run for a few days to actually see if she’s laying yet! The lavs comb looks very small in comparison, not sure if it’s going to grow or if that’s just the size of the breed.
F7BC826F-471E-4FB4-9F54-6DBAC5E590F0.jpeg

I know the eggs aren’t fertilized because my tiny ass silkie roo can barely jump high enough to properly mount the both of them 😂

We were told she’s half ameraucana thus the fluffy cheeks, but if she is a sapphire gem then that could mean she’s the one laying not the lav… 🤔

We were told she’s half ameraucana thus the fluffy cheeks, but if she is a sapphire gem then that could mean she’s the one laying not the lav… 🤔
She could lay brown, although green and blue are the most common in EEs. She is still at POL though.

She could lay brown, although green and blue are the most common in EEs. She is still at POL though.
I locked them both in the coop and run today while the others free ranged, I know it’s the lav laying though because I saw her in the nesting box and when I went back there was a third egg (I’ve made sure to leave the eggs there to encourage the EE) . I’ll leave them in there for another day or so just to see what’s going on.

Well… we got 5 eggs in 4 days so that means that they’re both laying now. Kinda disappointed because they both lay brown and I was really hoping for some blue or green eggs! There is a definite difference of the shade of tan between them though… mystery solved!

Back
Top Bottom