Lavender Orpington has buff streaks

Is it normal for Lavender orpingtons to have streaks of buff? Think they hatched in July 2017 so they are still growing. Both my hen and rooster have streaks of brown in their feathers, mostly around the neck. Rooster does have some in his wings. Overall they are +95% lavander.

Can you post a picture? Are you sure they are lavender and not blue?

Well-bred lavenders should never have leakage. They will fade in the sun and could look like leakage, but lavender is a separate gene, needing one copy of the gene from each parent to show the color.
Breed to a black/lav split. You will still get some lavenders from that pairing. Evaluate them.
I have a question! I just ordered some lav Orpington pullets that should be ready around March and I’m interested in breeding them so I’ve been doing research and I see everyone say “breed black back to the lavs” could this be any black breed? Or does it have to be a black Orpington.

I have a question! I just ordered some lav Orpington pullets that should be ready around March and I’m interested in breeding them so I’ve been doing research and I see everyone say “breed black back to the lavs” could this be any black breed? Or does it have to be a black Orpington.

Well, if you plan to continue to breed lav orps, it should be a black orpington. But you can mate them with other black breeds if you want crosses.

Can you post a picture? Are you sure they are lavender and not blue?
Hard to make out but you can kinda of see leakage on his wing. He has more in his hackle feathers and a little in his saddle.

Attachments

• DSC_1353.JPG
    DSC_1353.JPG
    624.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_1349.JPG
    DSC_1349.JPG
    573.7 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom