Lavender Orpington hasn't laid this year

khrisilou

Chirping
May 5, 2018
Hi all,
My sweet little Priscilla hasn't laid one egg in 2019. She went through a light molt in December and stopped laying then. I believe I have given her ample time to begin laying again...:rolleyes::p. She will sit in the nest box at times but doesn't lay. She isn't laying elsewhere in the yard either. She is fed a good laying food with 18% protein and is given treats and whole grain scratch in the morning. She is allowed to get out into the yard for a few hours every day and seems very healthy and happy. No parasites. We only have one other hen at the moment but will be getting chicks soon. Our other hen is laying just fine. We love her sweet personality and I can be patient as long as I need to be, I would just like to know if there is something else I can be doing to get her laying again.

UPDATE:
Hi all,
My sweet girl died last month and the vet found a "weird" tumor situated right up next to her oviduct so there was no way she was able to lay anything. She saved the tumor to show me and it was odd. Very flat on one side, slightly rounded on the other. I thought she had sliced it when I first saw it but she hadn't. She did tell me that she is seeing more and more tumors and cancers in chickens because they are being bred to produce many more eggs than their little bodies were designed to produce. I found it interesting and thought I would share.

20191021_162344.jpg

UPDATE:
Hi all,
My sweet girl died last month and the vet found a "weird" tumor situated right up next to her oviduct so there was no way she was able to lay anything. She saved the tumor to show me and it was odd. Very flat on one side, slightly rounded on the other. I thought she had sliced it when I first saw it but she hadn't. She did tell me that she is seeing more and more tumors and cancers in chickens because they are being bred to produce many more eggs than their little bodies were designed to produce. I found it interesting and thought I would share.
So sorry to hear that. Sounds like she had very good home though.

Back
Top Bottom