Lavender Orpington project ....

one thing I have noticed with the "lavender" orpingtons is the color of the beak seems to vary...from what I would call a "flesh" to a "black" (is that what they call "horn"?), or somewhere in between. what color beak are we striving for?

Quote:
I totally disagree with this statement. Yes, Jody and Charlie made their own line of lavender orpingtons. But they did not create them. There are other breeders who have been working on them for about the same amount of time as they have.

I would say they were the first to market them.

The darker beak is what they should have, some of our mottled lavenders had a beak color just like the whites and buffs..

pips if u say so.. others started a year or so later with Americana lavs and or ours, but we know when and were all of our early project eggs and chicks, birds went..lots out in your neck of the woods thats for sure.. Hope they are all doing well with theres as well...
ya.gif

do your home work and check out old posts, you will see when it all started. can check the old BYC as well.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Anyone can call something anything they want. However, it will not make it so in the SOP. My point in drafting a Standard was to have something I could breed to. We already have an Orpington Standrad and we have the lav gene standard. Our discussion needs to be on what color the beak, shanks and eyes should be. Not on who did what or what name we should use. We can submit any name to the Standard Committee and they will make changes as they see fit. So lets all try to stay polite.

What color are most Lavender/SB Orpingtons....

Beak?

Eyes?

Shanks?

Bottom of feet?

Guess I need to go turn a fellow over and see for myself about the bottom of his feet. Look him in the eye.

ETA: Plus, some of these qualities are not disqualifications in Orpingtons, just defects. The entire comb is just 5 points out of 100.

Terry Britt suggested we hatch our Orpingtons in December and January for the best possible size birds. Type must be there, but size can be enviroment. I have a Buff Orp male that will never reach his potential. He was ahtched in late April 2010. But his chicks, if hatched early, will reach their potential.

Last edited:
Jim, I see the following in the lavenders (which is consistent with what I see in pics on birds for overseas folks who have them, since this is all we have to compare them to at this time):

Beak - dark blue/black
Eyes - light color (not sure what to call it)
Shanks - blue

Quote:
Then I politely suggest that you use Lavender, rather than self blue. It sounds nicer & that is the name they started with.
smile.png

The eye color is very unusual, definitely light & I swear it changes as they get older.

Last edited:
we have lavenders we bought last year an did not like them at all we were new to chickens an did not really know what we were doing some of the hens even layed blue eggs.we are getting rid of all of them an have bought new chicks to work with we also are buying some nice english black orpington.now that we know a lot more about what we are doing we are very excited about working on them.i think jody an alot of other people have done a ton of work with them an have had to deal with alot of fustration when no one works on them an just keeps breeding lavs to lavs an selling them as rare lav orpingtons.we have found the hens to be pretty sweet the roos we had were pretty mean.my daughter just loves the color she loves the blue's alot aswell good luck to everyone an i think we all have to remeber we are all on the same team working at the same goal. i loved the f6's jody they looked great keep up the good work.

Last edited:
jimmy we are going on a "second round crossing the lavender to our English black orp side again" but before that it was all American black orp types. its been a fun ride so far.. they just keep getting better each round.. soon we will have a bunch of Black splits again to choose from for our next generation of lavenders....

Back
Top Bottom