Lavender Orpington project ....

my experience would say hens,, but watch the one closest to u in the pic, if it stretches its neck out often, or that comb get darker red. but agree very close to a hen in resemblance.

Try a no crow collar for your roo. My Pet Chicken sells them for your$17, or you can make something similar very easily from velcro. Search no crow velcro for a recent post. They work well if adjusted correctly.

Is it unusual that my two lavenders want nothing to do with my other chickens. I got the first 15 all together so they are a close group and were slightly being meanies when the lavenders come but nothing over the top or more then I'd expect. But they now will not go out side in the run with the others and they always sleep on the opposite side of the coop away from the other chickens. Is this there personality or are they unhappy? Please help

They are probably at the bottom of the pecking order. If the 2 lavs are young, that might change as they get bigger. My 6 lavs get along with everybody, but 2 are cockerels who don't allow squabbling.

Last edited:
thundercreek.:idunno. I have not had any bad luck with ours.. what food, weather, and environment are you dealing with? how old are they now?

Thanks kittydoc!!! You will be happy to know that I went in I feed my chickens last night and they were all sleeping together. But now I have a ride island red with a black and blue claw that she won't walk on. Never ends with these birds... Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks kittydoc but before I could put up a post I had a vet come out (I live no where near a vet office but we have a man that lives in town that will travel out to the "boonies") he got here and in seconds told me her hip was out of place and her claw was bruised and swollen from trying to get out of whatever she got caught in. He gave her a short of passion relive and popped it back in place. She is in a dog crate now so she won't get hurt by the other chickens and doing a cold compress on her for 15mins 3 times a day. I usually don't have a vet check my poultry lol I do love them but they are not my pets, but I couldn't stand to see her like that. $35 and a guilt free consctious works for me

Back
Top Bottom