Lavender Orpington project ....

OK, here I am crawling out of the woodwork with some specific Lavender Orp questions.

I hatched 6 lav eggs in late May. Lovely babies with no yellowing at all. I have two cockerels and four pullets. One cockerel looks fabulous to me, and he's the dominant one. The other cockerel has some slate speckling at the base of his comb--how much of a color fault is that, for a color that doesn't really have a standard? (Or is there a proposed standard available somewhere?)

Two of the four pullets have more fretting than the other two. However, I know they are nowhere near adult plumage since they haven't even quite turned 3 months old. How concerned should I be about that now?

Since these chicks were obviously the product of a Lav x Lav breeding, I have just hatched out some black/lav split chicks from a diverse pen (2 roos, 4 hens) from another breeder. The two roos were gorgeous. Huge, great body type, beautiful plumage. You could put a leash on the big one and he'd look like an odd Labrador Retriever, he is so darned big. I know the owner is entering the larger one at his state fair (which I believe starts at the very end of this month).

I plan to keep black/lav splits of both genders and not breed Lav x Lav, at least not with the first chicks I hatched. I need to get in touch with their breeder to find out whether she had more than one rooster in her breeding pen, but I suspect just one. They are very uniform in type, color, and size. My black/lav chicks are showing their genetic diversity early.

So my questions are (1) is the dark speckling on the one cockerel's comb a problem? (2) Does my plan to breed all of them to black/lav splits sound like the best option to keep improving the feathering and English type?

I promise to post photos one of these days. Some of them need a bath. The bad thing about lavs is that every poop stain shows!

Thanks in advance!

Well my young lavender roo is finally producing splits with my english black group of hens. Looking forward to some fluffier, brighter and rounder lavenders next year!
lol.png

This is one of my English Blacks I planned on using to cross into my Lavenders--talk about a pom pom butt !

He is six months old and already bigger than my adult lavender roo. The feathers sticking up in the back are his other wingtip. He is almost completely round right now-probably rolls in a strong wind ...
roll.png

QUESTION: Has anyone ever had a lavender pullet or hen lay PINK eggs? Not just pink tinted brown, but PINK. I can't think of any other pullets that I have at point of lay that might produce an egg this color. The eggs I hatched my lavenders from were all light brown. Just curious! I have one Ameracauna laying green eggs, one Brahma laying light brown eggs, as well as black and Jubilee pullets laying light to medium brown eggs.

Thanks!

All items for Buy Sell Trade must be posted in the BST section. Thanks.
Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom