Lavender Orpington project ....

Well I think my group if finally filling back in from their molts, took this picture this evening. Man did they look pathetic for a long time. My rooster still has some tail to come back in but believe me he is looking much better than he did a few weeks ago. You would have thought my girls (blacks) had mange.
tongue.png
The lavender is a young pullet who I noticed has really turned dark red over the last week, sure hope she is going to start laying soon. My blacks have not given me an egg in two months.
sad.png
I guess I need some egg laying dust??
wink.png

49849_dsc04345.jpg

does anyone have any 6ish week old pictures of lav and black orps - I'm trying to find some to compare to what i have in the barn. trying to make an educated guess on how many roos and pullets I have in my batch.

thanks in advance.

Quote:
Hi TaraDee!!
frow.gif
I don't have any pictures of that age loaded into BYC but you should be able to start telling differences in them as early as three weeks. By six weeks your cockerels will have much more red combs and tiny red wattles where as your pullets will still be pale pink. Do you have some photos your can post, there are many experts that can get real close to 100% accurate.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Here are some pics of my babies. They were born around October 9th. I'm pretty sure that I ended up with three boys and four girls. The boys definitely have a larger comb with more color. I can even see their little wattles turning red.

56134_lavs_2.jpg

56134_lavs_1.jpg

Hello everyone. I am new to this thread. My name is Mike and I live in North East Kansas. I only have 3 split/Lavender Orps but hopefully will have some more after the first of the year.

lav roo front right of group, lav hen to left and lav hen behind him. the rest unrelated grey and splashes. these lavs are a few generations descended from HinkJCs, still have a lot of maturing to do. This is half of my lav orps, one roo and 2 pullets not in photo.

chickens10.jpg

Hi Orpington Dude and welcome to BYC. Lots of nice people and birds in here..

I need to get a few black buff orps..Im working on improving the tails on American Australorps. (smaller) , while trying to keep the required tight feathering .
Charlie and Jody have outstanding birds. I had a hatch last year going along perfectly from charlie..Most of mine were infertle--- a couple of his were but thats to be expected ... most of his were developing excellently..then husband fell off ladder wound up in trauma and in emergency sugery wound up at the hospital 4 - 2 days during a blizzard and power went out..strangley 3 hatched Even thou house was cold as ice and bator had been off for almost 48 hrs in power outage, have no idea what posessed me to turn that bator back on,those eggs never should have hatched after all that .but were weakened from being so coldin bator for couple days. They never really thrived . Maybe I will try again when I set some australorps this year, Im wondering if my freinds the faulkners have any..

Back
Top Bottom