Lavender Orpington project ....

I'd like to have these Lavenders also! who can give me?
gig.gif
:lau

Looking at all the pictures of these beautiful birds, got me and the wife talking. would anyone have any lavs chicks or chickens for sale close to southwest ohio? we are still new to chickens and at this point are not interested in breeding yet, maybe in the future. We currently have 5 Wellsummer juveniles, and 11 buckeye chicks. If we do get some of these chickens, what is the expectation for the owner, as this is such a new breed. What I mean is, everyone is working so hard to build up this breed, that we wouldn't want to get some and wind up setting the breed back. How much should we expect to pay for young birds or chicks? What should we look for to make sure we are getting a true lav and not something else all together just looks like a lav? Can they be sexed at a young age?
sorry for all the questions, just very interested in this breed. and it's late and I'm tired...
roll.png

thanks for any help...
John and Alice (John's wife-his personal secretary LOL)

Quote:
The breed is not new - the color variety is.

I've seen day old chicks priced from $4 to $8 each.

You can get lavender orps about anywhere. Plenty of people sell them here. The thing is, they are still project birds. They are not true to APA SOP by a country mile! Where ever you go, try to see parents. You want stock that is as big as possible in hopes the chicks will grow to size. The problem currently across the board with the lav orps is they are not large enough.

Unless a person is trained in vent sexing, it is a crap shoot. Generally speaking, the females will have smaller legs, they will feather faster and they will be a bit smaller than the males. HOWEVER, the lav gene retards feather growth so as a whole, lavs tend to feather even slower than orps do. It can be like watching grass grow!

The lavenders we raise do not feather any slower or faster than our other orps we raise and as far as sexing by feather growth here thats a crap shoot with our lavenders, splits and any other breed we raise.. imo and observation of our own birds..
D.gif

best grow them out and watch the comb and other attributes for sexing at ages 5-8 weeks
jumpy.gif

Absolutely look before you buy, try to get further along generations if possible that have or had other black orps lines breed into them, theres folks out there with them just got to look around..

Best of luck and hope you find the lavender orps of your dreams..
love.gif

Here check out our lavender page
http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/lavenderorpingtonproject.htm

Last edited:
Here's a picture of our 3 week old chick. She/he seems so much smaller than our other chick. She's standing next to our BCM who's the same age - Is that normal?!?!?!

97480_chick3.jpg

Quote:
Just have to ask, are you sure that is an orpington chick? It has very black and petite legs as well as a solid black beak, not what I am familiar with seeing on lavender orpingtons??The conformation at three weeks doesn't seem right for an orpington either.
hu.gif

looks like two different age groups to me, i dont think its a bantam but a younger chick... never seen that much advancement in any of our grow outs ever.. except in meat birds or eating machines as call them, the feathering growth has been wonderful for most of this project and still is today here anyways,

here a pic of lav orps with our other orps
222862_197046637003181_165531833487995_474728_4338475_n.jpg

heres a pic from back in 2009 where you can see the chicks black araucana and lavender orps basically feathering out the same.. i have advancement photos of all ages stored here and weve never seen feathering out problems. yes i must say maybe 1% of the chicks might have the slow feather gene but that % is so low here and it was never a concern in our breeding here.
100_6398.jpg

here mottled orp, milli bantams and lav orp chicks
100_6386.jpg

lf araucana and lav orps
100_6389.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom