Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
Welcome.
hugs.gif

~ Aspen
smile.png

This is my 3 month old hen, is she considered Lavender or Blue? Is it normal to have lacey/curly type feathers on the bum when they are growing in? She is HUGE for 3 months too!

65185_dsc_0346.jpg

Last edited:
I have noticed some lav orps are much darker than others. I have one rooster, my favorite and largest, who is much darker than the rest. I got them all from bargain and they are beautiful. I have one other rooster out of the bunch which is light but much smaller. Would it be a mistake to keep the darker one to breed with the lighter hens if I want to work toward the right color? The darker one has some feathers darker than others but is very pretty. If pics would be helpful, I can try to get some tomorrow! Thanks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
In my experience, the earlier generations are darker and smaller. I had the earlier generations, and I now have 5th generation birds from hinkjc stock. They are much much larger and are lighter colored. I believe Nancy (bargain) has early generation stock. I don't think she has continued the project, meaning .... crossing them with good quality black Orps and proceeding forward in the project. I could be wrong, but from her photos that is how it appears.

ok i have a question say if i were to hatch some lavs right know and waited to 2 weeks before putting them in the coop with 3 month olds would that work out?
fl.gif

MrsHollywood, these lavenders are a project and yes they will have broken curly feathers especially on younger generations. If yours is from a pure lavender flock then it is indeed lavender, if not it could be a mixed blue colored bird.

CukooforMarans, Getting light to dark lavender color usually means an earlier generation flock.

nickrex, Not a good idea to mix birds that young with each other. You could try putting them in a cage near the older flock for awhile but I have found they will starve out and fight a younger group. If you do this make sure there are lots of feeders and water bowls around and places for them to get away from the older group. This happens in any flock you try to mix birds in when they are different ages. I don't mix birds til they are around the same size and defend themselves.

henney penny, My buffs always started laying at a younger age then my blues. These lavender projects are hardy birds and lay early or mine always have just like the buffs. Very good to lay consistently all year long. It's not the color of the bird that makes them lay earlier, it's the stock from which they came, like exhibition type/SQ verses hatchery or project quality type in my opinion.

My two cents.........

From a pure lavender flock I have 8 pullets and 9 cockerels. I also have unrelated Black O, 1 female and 2 male. Next spring will be my first time to raise my own flock. Being so green, would you suggest a first hatch of lavender roo over lavender hens, with the risk of inbreeding, or should I use a Black roo? I've read the talk of improving the line with Blacks, and I've also read that newbies might be best served to stay within the family i.e. lavender x lavender. I have to cull before next wednesday, and I really don't want to keep both a lavender and a black cockerel. Which should I keep?

If I keep a lavender male, what is the most important charecteristic to look for in a 13 week old bird? I know to look for size, the way the tail is carried, and general appearance, but what else?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom