Lavender Orpington project ....

FINALLY!!!!! I have my first egg from my Lavender Orps!!!
wee.gif

This is worse than being pregnant myself! It is a nice little pullet egg. My son kept saying..."are you sure it is from them....it is awful small for such a big chicken." Which is true. My Lavenders are monsters. I put them in a pen with my Andalusians who lay white eggs...that way I would know for certain when they lay. I am so happy....*sniff

That's great! COngratulations. How old?

Happy, she is very spoiled. Runs back and forth all day as they call her for treats and sleeps between them on the roost. She's the warmest girl in the house.

Quote:
It almost looks like it has penciling in it. Its not a surprised that there are sports like this that pop out because the original Lav birds used were from EE stock.

I'm seeing lots of good feather quality in some of these pictures. The first lavenders I bought had horrible feathers. Luckily, I've got better ones now. The poorly feathered ones of mine do carry the mottled gene and I actually like the mottleds. So I think I'll keep them around for a while. One of my nicer looking lavenders:

60651_lav2.jpg

My other Lavender Orp laid today!!! They are 7 months old. I have laughed all afternoon at the egg from the last hen. It is no bigger than my bantams eggs. I'll bet she hiccuped and never realized she laid it!!
gig.gif

Now....have to work on being patient til they are old enough to start checking for fertility. They are in with my Lavender Roo. Funny how something so small can really make your day!

While walking out to the coops today I heard this weird screeching sort of crowing sound. Looked over at the Splits pen and seen the cockerel with his neck stretched almost to the clouds. Hoping for eggs soon as we have a light on them. Digital timer controls all teh breeding pens lighting.

Back
Top Bottom