Lavender Orpington project ....

I'm planning to put my Black cockerel over a few of my 9 Lavenders. All 9 have poor feathering, but 2 are slightly better than the others. Two different pullets are larger than the other 7. Should I use the better feathered pullets or the larger two?

Quote:
Crossing back to Black should help to correct the feather quality issue, it's just something that you're going to have to cull against in future generations.

Use the 2 with better feathering and the 2 larger girls and see what you get from both breedings, can't hurt.

Quote:
But I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove her!
love.gif

Quote:
Post some photos and let everyone see them. If their type, size and color is good, I would ignore the feather quality and use them all with a top quality Black male. He will correct the feather issues. Then breed the offspring to get back to the Self Blue/Lav.

Those who have raised Self Blue in OEG and others in the SOP go back to black often to overcome the feather issue. Seems that is a fault in the lav gene.

Just an FYI:

Self Blue Orpington Standard

Prepared by the American Orpington Poultry Fanciers.

ECONOMIC QUALITIES: A general purpose fowl for heavy meat production and for eggs. Color of skin, white; color of egg shells, light brown to dark brown.
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Yellow beak, shanks, feet or skin. (See general Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects.)

STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock ……………. 10 lbs. Hen ………… 8 lbs.
Cockerel ………. 8½ lbs. Pullet ……… 7 lbs.

Shape: See the American Standard of Perfection

Orpington Bantams

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Shape and color disqualifications the same for the corresponding variety of large Orpingtons. (See General Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects)

STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock...............38 oz. Hen............34 oz.
Cockerel.........34 oz. Pullet.........30 oz.

Shape and color descriptions the same as for the corresponding variety of large.*

Self Blue Orpington

COMB, FACE, WATTLES, AND EARLOBES: Bright red.
BEAK: Horn
EYES: Dark brown
SHANKS AND TOES: Dark blue, bottom of feet and toes, pinkish white.
PLUMAGE: See description of Self Blue plumage color on page 184 (American Standard of Perfection, 2010 edition). In all sections preference to be given to a medium shade of clear blue, free from lacing, shaftiness, mealiness and messiness, with no contrast in color between any of the sections being desired, the male sex feathers of hackle, back, saddle and wing-bows, carrying a metallic gloss of the same hue as the general plumage and free from green, purple or bronze.

*From the American Poultry Association "American Standard of Perfection" 2010 edition. For the entire Orpington standard please visit- http://www.amerpoultryassn.com and purchase your copy. The sole purpose of the Self Blue Orpington Proposed Standard is to prepare the variety for acceptance in the American Standard of Perfection.
00a9.png
Copyright 2010 American Poultry Association

Note: The SOP does not recognize the color name "Lavender", but calls it Self Blue.

Last edited:
Quote:
When people apply for recognition I think we should stay strong on the Lavender name. Also did you get permission from the APA to use the copyrighted information?

This is not the "complete" standard. The complete standard, except color is in the SOP. For new variety, it is permissable to use enough to develop a standard.

As for the color name, the Silkie folks wanted the name to remain Lavender, but they had to choose between acceptance as Self Blue or rejection. Both the APA and ABA Standards Committees have stood in agreement, lavender will not be permitted. Since 1965 the Standard of Perfection has recognized the color as Self Blue.

Jeremy, I thought you did not have many or any Blacks. Just one Black hen will be many more after this coming year. Hatch a couple of hundred and pick out the best ones for yourself.
Work with your best type first. And as you already said toe punch and you will always know who is from whom. I would say after they reach 6 months of age double check the ones with the toe punches, sometimes they holes will heal up and you may have to do it again. I got 6 Buffs from Doug and he toe punched and 2 had healed closed.
I just started with Lavs. And the project will be never ending. I will always work on inproving my flock. Last year I only hatched out 3. One Black split cockerel. He is destined for culling. One Lav pullet who was so lite I thought she was a Splash and sold her to a lady here in Indy. And my one Blue Cuckoo who I think is the best in Orp type. This coming year this Lav cock will have a few more nicer hens/pullets to play with and I will be seeing how well I do. And ofcourse the Blue Cuckoo will be taken to a few Cuckoo pullets to make some more Blue Cuckoos.

Quote:
From my understanding, it would be harder to get the birds accepted as Lavender, but not impossible, there should be nothing that will not be accepted to the standard.

SBRUSH88 wrote:
Walt has correctly provided the basic structure for reproduction/use of the materials from the American Standard of Perfection. Specific to the Black Copper Marans description posted at the beginning of this thread, at the time they were still somewhat "in the pipeline" and that newness resulted in the latitude by the APA about the use of that description out here on the digital front. In a perfect situation the poster would have first requested permission of the APA prior to posting and then attached the usual note about credit and that it is copyrighted material of the American Poultry Association. I don't know if the original poster can go back now and apply those credit/copyright statements here on BYC. Just to note, as a provision of the APA's admission process a proposing breed club or other entity provides a statement that officially assigns copyrights for the standard description and illustrations to the American Poultry Association, Inc.

Just a few more notes of clarification on ASOP use and the Fair Use Doctrine, since the APA spent a bit of time developing some policies to cover this.
The Fair Use Doctrine doesn't just allow any old use of copyrighted materials as long as it is for "educational purposes." The Fair Use Doctrine is more comprehensive than that and guidelines for use essentially hinge on four key areas:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
2. The nature of the copyrighted work
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work.

Following these guidelines, the APA outlined policies specific to the American Standard of Perfection:

 The intended user should request permission from the APA to use the materials.
 Any use, whether in printed form, digital, or on the web should include a statement clearly indicating that the materials are copyrighted by the APA and used with permission.
 The scope of use is limited to no more than one breed or variety text description in keeping with the guidelines for item #3 above.
 Permission for use of scanned standard illustrations shall not be given except in cases where the reproduction of the scanned standard illustrations is substantially different from the resolution or quality of the images in the Standard of Perfection or the use is for a limited one-time situation that will not impact the economics or marketing of that work.

These are the guidelines the APA currently follows in order to best manage our copyright protections for the Standard of Perfection. So, in response to one of the posters earler, one cannot just post any amount of ASOP text/material under cover of it being "for educational purposes." There are a few other bells and whistles that must be applied.

That's enough Fair Use Doctrine primer for one morning! Back to the Marans dialogue.

Sam Brush
President, American Poultry Association

Back
Top Bottom