Lavender Orpington project ....

In 1921 a Canadian monk from Quebec presented his White Chantecler for acceptance in the Standard of Perfection. It was accepted. The first Canadian breed of chickens.

In 1935 a fellow from Alberta, Canada presented his Partridge Albertan for acceptance. It also was accepted...as the Partridge Chantecler. Seems its type was so close to the Chantecler that the Standards Committee renamed it the Partridge Chantecler.

No matter what any group of breeders, breed club or website calls the lav gene, the Standard has declared it once and for all, Self Blue.

In any case, BYC or any forum for that matter, is not the proper forum to discuss the color name. The proper forum would be the APA. In the more than 20 years I have been an Endowment Trust Life member (#195) of the American Poultry Association, I have never seen the Standards Committee swayed by popluar opinion. The Standard of Perfection has existed since 1874. Its committee considers it almost holy. The colors have stood the test of time. There were some breeds entered under alias names, but that has stopped.

Light Braham & Light Sussex are Columbian color; Dark Brahma is Silver Pencilled etc

It was stated that the Standards Committee would look back into the name Lavender "sometime" in the future. It is very doubtful that it will ever happen. The only way is for those in favor of the term Lavender, to get a person in favor elected as President of the APA. Since most APA presidents have been judges, (Vi Halbach was not, but became a judge shortly after being elected), it is highly doubtful a licensed APA judge will go against the tradition of the SOP.

When accepted the following will most likely happen to these popular color names:

Coronation = Self Blue Columbian
Jubilee = Speckled
Lemon Cuckoo = Buff Barred or Buff Cuckoo

It is not written in concrete, but the dirt is very hard taht it is written in. Those that want to call the color Lavender can. Those that wish to call it Self Blue can. But for a proper description for a Variety Standard, we can only use what the SOP has accepted. That is the term Self Blue.​

I did not start this thread to have a debate on terminology, nor did I start it to discuss the APA SOP. If you would like to discuss that, please start your own thread.

Now, back to the Lavender Orps..................

Last edited:
FYI: Months ago a copy of this proposed Self Blue Orpington Standard was sent to the APA Standards Committee for their input. After some open discussion this was the compiled draft. More discussion may be neccessary in the future as the variety comes closer to the APA Orpington Standard. Proper credit has been given to the APA, with a link to purchase the full Orpington Standard. Without a Standard to breed towards, this variety will NEVER be considered for acceptance. Is this Stanadrd perfect? No, but it is the closest we have. It is also the only Standard currently available for this variety.

Quote:

Last edited:
Kathy, do you have any recent pictures of your Lav birds?

I remember yours actually having good size and shape.
smile.png

Have you put them with your Black English boys yet?

Quote:
I did put them with Black English, and a friend of mine in Iowa has all of those from this year. I kept my Lavender girls. They are penned with a Black English rooster now. Hope to have more splits in the spring.

I will have to get some updated pictures.

Quote:
I did put them with Black English, and a friend of mine in Iowa has all of those from this year. I kept my Lavender girls. They are penned with a Black English rooster now. Hope to have more splits in the spring.

Sorry that I got off topic, Kathy I hope you have good splits this year.

Quote:

I can't wait to see what those babies look like in a few seasons!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom