Lavender Orpington project ....

Thanks for all of the comments. Yes, I'm sure you're right...what I am describing as "olive" is probably slate. I'm just not familiar with the correct terms.
I don't want to say which breeder I purchased mine from, but I think they are well-thought of on this forum. I was told they were from Greenfire Farms line (but that's not who I bought them from).
I'm sure they are not nearly as large and typey as Hink's recent generations, but they are really nice and each looks identical to the next. Here are a few pictures of the parents that my chicks are from.
These photos are from file, so none are zoomed in on leg color. I can take some of their legs/beaks tomorrow, but I assure you that they are all the same.

I can also try to post some pics of the chicks in the morning.

46167_resave_fall_2011_with_lavendar_chickens_november_4_157.jpg

46167_resave_fall_2011_with_lavendar_chickens_november_4_145.jpg

46167_resave_fall_2011_with_lavendar_chickens_november_4_094.jpg

46167_resave_fall_2011_with_lavendar_chickens_november_4_092.jpg

No, I would say those are orpingtons and very nice ones for lavender!!
thumbsup.gif
My guess is some of your stock is carrying the mottled gene and your chicks are mottled lavenders!
clap.gif
They will have white legs instead of slate as they get older.
wink.png
Great pics thanks for sharing.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! I think they are really nice, but these odd chicks worried me. I should have some pics of the chicks up within 30 minutes.
Jumping ahead, but I plan to sell some of my chicks locally. If I sell only the true Lavender-looking chicks, could they still be carrying the mottled gene? I want to be sure and tell buyers if that were the case.

Any of the chicks born yellow with a lav spot here and there are mottled and will carry the mottled gene. The thing about mottling on lavs, as they get older is gets really hard to see and they look almost just like regular lavs other than the white legs.
smile.png

YES! If they are only carrying one copy of the mottling gene, you cannot tell. It would be the same as your hatch-the parent stock didn't show the mottling gene, it was hiding. The only way to know if a bird that does not show the mottling gene but comes from a flock carrying the gene has the gene itself is to test breed. If you breed it to a mottled bird, statistically 50 % of the offspring would have two copies of the mottling gene and show it. The other 50 % would be recessive carriers of the gene. Of course, you end up with a whole lot of culls that way. So it just depends on how much effort you want to put in to eliminate it from your flock. It's not a complicated process, but it does take time, space and effort.

The mottling was first discoverd in our projects back in 2008. There's many who got with it from us. That's one trait that wasn't expected in our earlier breedings
it can take awhile to figure out who has what. May have to breed each bird and hatch eggs, to see if they are still carriers.

Last edited:
Quote:
BTW It's not fair not to share the source of such nice looking birds!
wink.png
I was only asking because if it is someone who is very active on the forum, chances are someone on this thread would know a little about their birds and be able to give some insight.

Quote:
BTW It's not fair not to share the source of such nice looking birds!
wink.png
I was only asking because if it is someone who is very active on the forum, chances are someone on this thread would know a little about their birds and be able to give some insight.

Oh, I know. You all have been very helpful! I can even PM you the name of the breeder since you think the flock is so nice. I just don't know them personally other than buying from them, and don't want to ever advertise in a way that someone wouldn't appreciate. I'm certainly proud of my flock and have let them know how great I think they are
smile.png
Thanks for chiming in Mr. Hink! I bet then that these might have some of your lines in them as well. A few vintage 2012 lavenders from your farm would be the perfect antidote
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom