Lavender Orpington project ....

I just got 4 lavender, about 4 weeks old on Saturday. They are such beautiful little ones, and I really hope there are more females than not, as we can't keep roos where I live. I also got one yellow cuckoo and the gent I bought them from threw in a white orpington. So I'm brand new to chickens and this site. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll post mine too! I love the pictures of how they'll look when they're older!

I just found a place in my part of the world that raises the Lavender Orpingtons. They are stunning. I am going to go pick up some chicks this weekend. So far, I have silver laced wyandottes, so I am looking forward to the new additions.
D.gif

Just caught up, it took about 3 weeks but I have read the entire thread!
clap.gif
After reading some of the posts I wish others would consider reading before asking the same question that was asked two pages before. While I agree there are no stupid questions the repeat rate is bothersome. Thank you to those that have been working on this project for posting other threads to read up on I have added those as well and am working my way through those as well.
pop.gif
I am ready to jump into this project and have put an order in for eggs. Of course I'm also re-evaluating my blk orps as well after reading, seeing photos, and going back to the SOP.

Very nice site. I live in East TN. Started with Lavenders last year and I do really love them. But my health is not going to let me take care of all that I have with the addition of horses. So...it has been a difficult decision but I am going to have to sell my Lav. Orps. I have a very nice Lav. roo and 2 blues. So far test hatching has been 100% with 80% being lavender. I also took Mr. Shaffers suggestion to purchase a pair of SQ Eng. orps to go along with these that came from him. He has been so kind and helpful. I am presently selling eggs until someone purchases my orps. I have to do them in half dozens. If anyone is near me and interested let me know. I will try to get some pics to post here. Oh...these are F3
Thanks!
Terry

I have a question...What happens when you breed lav orps to buff orps? whats the possibilities of colors in chicks. Also another question( may be dumb) What is the difference in lavender and blue in orpingtons? i was just wondering! thanks!

I have a question...What happens when you breed lav orps to buff orps? whats the possibilities of colors in chicks.
A buff chicken with two copies of lavender will be isabel (diluted buff) However, I am not sure if the first generation chicks from that crossing would be buff, black or both. Maybe someone else could chime in? I am thinking that black would be dominant but I am not sure.

Also another question( may be dumb) What is the difference in lavender and blue in orpingtons? i was just wondering! thanks!

Lavender is recessive and breeds true. That means that a black bird with one copy of lavender will be black and a black bird with two copies will be lavender. Lavender x lavender will give you all lavender.

Blue expresses with only one copy. A black chicken with one copy of blue will be blue. A black chicken with 2 copies will be splash. Blue x Blue will give you 25% splash, 25 % black and 50 % blue. (It does not breed true, meaning you don't get all blue birds from a blue rooster and hen.

Last edited:
I have a question...What happens when you breed lav orps to buff orps? whats the possibilities of colors in chicks. Also another question( may be dumb) What is the difference in lavender and blue in orpingtons? i was just wondering! thanks!

You will get a whole assortment of messed up colored birds from breeding lav to buff, they will all look black and buff

I now have my lavender pullets in with a nice black. My question is to get back to pure lavenders you have to go back with a lavender rooster at some point, and then aren't you just back where you were before? Also, i have black pullets in with them and was curious if you could tell the difference in the black over lavender splits from the pure blacks? I can also answer the question about why many don't get a nice black to help with their lavender project. Its because hardly anyone wants the black or black to lavender splits, they wants the lavenders. If I would have kept my lavender cockeral in with the lavender pullets i could have sold all of them my now to help pay their feed bills along with the extra 65.00 a month on electricity it cost to run incubators and brooders. I know a few do make money on their chickens, but i'm not one of them, and would say i'm a few thousand in the hole from last year. To be honest, the facts are, there are far more people who care more about color over type!

Back
Top Bottom