Lavender Orpington project ....

If you put a black rooster over your lavender hens, all of the offspring should be splits, visually black but carrying one copy of the lavender gene. Then you can breed the offspring to each other and you should statistically get 25 % lavender from this crossing. The other 75 % would be splits and pure black with no copies of lavender. You can't tell the splits and blacks apart without test breeding which is time consuming and requires more space. Or you could just raise them and sell them as layers/roosters for a backyard flock (most likely not a breeding stock since you don't know who is carrying what).

Alternatively, you could breed the same splits to a lavender bird and get 50 % (again statistically) lavender, BUT I would not do this unless you could get your hands on a lavender that is at least as nice as your nicest splits. You wouldn't want to use your original lavenders because you would probably be digressing. In this case, the 50 % that are visually black would all be splits.

I hope this helps ... how are your pullets doing?
smile.png

Edited to make the change highlighted by WA4-Hpoultrymom Ha! Thanks for catching my mistake! You are right of course ... I should have proofread! :)

Last edited:
If you put a black rooster over your lavender hens, all of the offspring should be splits, visually lavender but carrying one copy of the lavender gene. Then you can breed the offspring to each other and you should statistically get 25 % lavender from this crossing. The other 75 % would be splits and pure black with no copies of lavender. You can't tell the splits and blacks apart without test breeding which is time consuming and requires more space. Or you could just raise them and sell them as layers/roosters for a backyard flock (most likely not a breeding stock since you don't know who is carrying what).

Alternatively, you could breed the same splits to a lavender bird and get 50 % (again statistically) lavender, BUT I would not do this unless you could get your hands on a lavender that is at least as nice as your nicest splits. You wouldn't want to use your original lavenders because you would probably be digressing. In this case, the 50 % that are visually black would all be splits.

smile.png

I think you meant visually black?

If you put a black rooster over your lavender hens, all of the offspring should be splits, visually black but carrying one copy of the lavender gene. Then you can breed the offspring to each other and you should statistically get 25 % lavender from this crossing. The other 75 % would be splits and pure black with no copies of lavender. You can't tell the splits and blacks apart without test breeding which is time consuming and requires more space. Or you could just raise them and sell them as layers/roosters for a backyard flock (most likely not a breeding stock since you don't know who is carrying what).

smile.png

Edited to make the change highlighted by WA4-Hpoultrymom Ha! Thanks for catching my mistake! You are right of course ... I should have proofread! :)

Yes, this is my point. If you don't have a nice lavender rooster with good orpington type you will have years of breeding to be able to help with type. I also know of no one with a good lavender male with good type. Why after five years is there no lavenders out there that look like a orpington should? I guess i'm just not prepared to spend years on this project and will just sell my blacks and lavenders. Thanks for your post.

Hey all! I hatched a batch of Lavenders and some splits over the weekend and ended up with some oddballs. One is definitely a mottled Lavender. The other I have no clue if it is a black with a lot of white trim or if it could be mottled too. Any ideas?

Hello- i live in birmingham,AL and am trying to find some lavender orp female chicks- can you help? -Blessings, stephanie

Last edited:
I'm no expert, especially on the mottling, but it looks to me like one lavender, one black, one mottled lavender and one mottled black. Either way, they are ADORABLE!!!! :)
Hey all! I hatched a batch of Lavenders and some splits over the weekend and ended up with some oddballs. One is definitely a mottled Lavender. The other I have no clue if it is a black with a lot of white trim or if it could be mottled too. Any ideas?

Thank you! I think they are just adorable too! Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions. I have some more due this weekend and in a couple weeks, so hopefully I will have more like that little black one!

My first Lav project chick just hatched today!!!! Still in the bator as a mater of fact. 11 out of 12 made it to lock down!! All 12 made the shipping process! Happy Easter! The chick holiday!

Back
Top Bottom