Lavender Orpington Roo or Hen?

Oh yes...clbdownunder...your lavenders are beautiful! The next time we decide to purchase some new babies, I think we'll be seeking out the lavenders! Gorgeous!!!!

Quote:
Thank you, the eggs are from Bargain, the lady from Georgia, who offers many types of chicken eggs on BYC...I am very happy with the ones that I have hatched. Hatching them yourself, makes them even friendlier towards you! I agree, the Orpington breed is very nice, mine folllow me everywhere, as soon as I sit down, they ALL try to get on my lap, the ones that don't get the lap seat, then sit on my feet!
I never got chicks from McMurray, although have gotten a few different breeds from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio, not thru mail, but rather pick up, so far happy with what I've received from them.
The feathering on your picture looks like a hen.
Hey! How's the hurricane up your way? Hoping you and yours, and chickens all stay safe! Keep us posted!
frow.gif

Quote:
Thank you, the eggs are from Bargain, the lady from Georgia, who offers many types of chicken eggs on BYC...I am very happy with the ones that I have hatched. Hatching them yourself, makes them even friendlier towards you! I agree, the Orpington breed is very nice, mine folllow me everywhere, as soon as I sit down, they ALL try to get on my lap, the ones that don't get the lap seat, then sit on my feet!
I never got chicks from McMurray, although have gotten a few different breeds from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio, not thru mail, but rather pick up, so far happy with what I've received from them.
Hey! How's the hurricane up your way? Hoping you and yours, and chickens all stay safe! Keep us posted!
frow.gif

Well now that's an interesting idea! Hatching your own eggs. How would one have eggs shipped? Would they survive? Oh goodness, if I were to purchase eggs to hatch, my husband would think this chicken thing has gotten way outta hand;)

The hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit us. It was still very windy (we lost power for a good part of the day), and we had a good amount of rain. Thankfully we seemed to escape unscathed compared to the other states that had to brave the storm. My children thought it was very exciting!

Quote:
frow.gif

Well now that's an interesting idea! Hatching your own eggs. How would one have eggs shipped? Would they survive? Oh goodness, if I were to purchase eggs to hatch, my husband would think this chicken thing has gotten way outta hand;)

The hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit us. It was still very windy (we lost power for a good part of the day), and we had a good amount of rain. Thankfully we seemed to escape unscathed compared to the other states that had to brave the storm. My children thought it was very exciting!

It's easy to get hooked on hatching. I prefer it over the store bought peeps. You just usually get a few more rooster chicks than you really want. I have hatched CA and Idaho eggs with fantastic success.

1. Read the hatching notes on the forum
2. Get a incubator or make your own.. Many have better luck wit home made than the cheap store bought type
3. If you already have a rooster try a test hatch of your own stock to get the hang of things
4. When your ready check out the auctions here on BYC, many have good experience shipping eggs and can tell you how they package.
5. Buy the eggs
6. Wait for them to arrive in the mail (priority shipping)
7. Rest em upon arrival for about a day and then set them.

Buff Orps are not the same as BBS/Black/Lavenders. They have completely different origins. But all Orps will fool you. That is an unusually large comb for an Orp pullet, plus it just looks like a roo comb. The stance also says Roo. Only the feathering says pullet, but again it's awfully young to really have pronounced saddle feathers yet, depending on it's particular lineage.

I'm going with Roo. I don't think that's a pullet at all.

As for no spurs yet, this fellow is only just now starting to have grow spurs:

65925_george81011.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear your family and animals made it thru the storm!
Hatching eggs received thru the mail is sometimes a gamble, so do your research on the seller as well as incubators. Some folks have good luck with the cheaper units, others don't. I'm in Ohio, I "try" to get the eggs I desire from sellers that are closest to me, but so far have had pretty good luck with eggs thru the mail system from Georgia and Texas. In the Spring time, I find it best, as there are many more choices out there. Ask for an incubator for Christmas, if you are interested in hatching your own, you could always say its for the kids too! Great learning experience for youngsters as well!

Quote:
are you saying this is what a lavender color is? or is this a Lavender Orpington or Lavender cross? Maybe the hen with the long tail is a lavender/croos Orpingtons don't have long tails!
D.gif

it is a lavender it is just a F1 or F2 and they go up to F5

nat is right on the color, it is blue(lavender is NOT laced as those feathers are). It may be SPLIT to lavender and in that case it will need to be bred to a lav or a lav split to produce lav. I am going against the majority here on gender....I am going with cockeral. I am new to orps this year but all my pullets are at least a month older and NONE have wattles/combs that large or red....

Back
Top Bottom