Lavender Orpington Shredder Gene Help

It’s been a few months since this thread—have you tried any dietary alterations and seen a difference at all in the shredding? My rooster LO and my two self blue Ameraucanas all have the shredder gene and I’d like to help improve the feathers if that’s at all possible. Thanks!
I wish I did have some results for you! Unfortunately, my summer got away from me, and then I had to leave my chickens to go to college, so I haven’t tried anything yet. Dang education 😅

My LO hens are laying finally!
clahr.PNG

My lavender araucana hens have this issue (New Zealand type which is UK type). They always just look a bit like they've been pulled through a hedge backwards, however with a very good diet (I feed fermented crushed whole grains, mixed with pullet grower crumb fresh milled from a local producer, and meat and bone meal 3x week, fresh greens daily plus free range time, and ad-lib oyster shell seperately) the feathers haven't lost functionality, and they do live with a rooster. Even after brooding chicks I'm not concerned, however they certainly wouldn't place at a show. Just thought I'd weigh in on this not being an issue for me from a functionality issue.

My lavender araucana hens have this issue (New Zealand type which is UK type). They always just look a bit like they've been pulled through a hedge backwards, however with a very good diet (I feed fermented crushed whole grains, mixed with pullet grower crumb fresh milled from a local producer, and meat and bone meal 3x week, fresh greens daily plus free range time, and ad-lib oyster shell seperately) the feathers haven't lost functionality, and they do live with a rooster. Even after brooding chicks I'm not concerned, however they certainly wouldn't place at a show. Just thought I'd weigh in on this not being an issue for me from a functionality issue.
I completely agree, no issue with functionality at all! I'd just like to be able to show them 😂
I'm majoring in poultry science, and it would definitely be cool if this could be something I research for my master's or something, as it would combine my two interests of nutrition and genetics. However, I highly doubt that will happen as it doesn't have a commercial application and so it wouldn't be economically feasible research to run.

Yeah, mine are functional just not show quality, and really hard to determine gender when young! You can see how my Ameraucanas almost look a bit silkied and my rooster has little duster broom wing feathers and a sad looking tail. I love them all though!

Attachments

• 7817E519-0CA4-4ABA-B053-BEB7CBEED745.jpeg
    7817E519-0CA4-4ABA-B053-BEB7CBEED745.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 9
  • F839C7E4-AAC9-432D-9A82-B12530DF0546.jpeg
    F839C7E4-AAC9-432D-9A82-B12530DF0546.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 898C945D-D2DB-4869-ABFB-6ACAB1CABBD1.jpeg
    898C945D-D2DB-4869-ABFB-6ACAB1CABBD1.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom