Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
P1060867.JPG
Yes.
You can see the white head spot better in this shot:

Eggs-->Eggs--->Eggs

got an egg from one pen today that is a nice light blue -- clear with not a lot of green or "red"...
color looks like this:
http://www.color-hex.com/color/f0f5f6
One parent must have been one of the Isabels that produced the whitest of the layers, and from her dad she must have gotten blue-egg gene.
That pen has two splits and 4 lavenders - most of them have crests and one lav is non-barred with a crest. Pretty young chickens. Egg colors that I get are -- that tinted-pearl color (a friend who got some splits from me was saying that the color looks like 'rose'. ) And one of them is quite green, the the others are medium blue-green...except for this chicken who's eggs are bluer.
If you were breeding for egg-color -- it would be easy to select eggs closest to the color that you want.... but in the case of this pen, without detective work, it could be any one of the pullets. What that would mean for the plumage side is that you could go back to having splits again, or having non-barred (depending upon the male...if with a double barred male, then all the chicks would at least have one barring gene. (or should I say have at least one barring gene)) -- you get the drift.

Last edited:
Two are three weeks old and four are Two weeks old -- and all are TOO crowded in the plastic tote IMO.
P1060881.JPG

so they get new digs TODAY!
P1060879.JPG

Yep, galvanized watering tub. It was a 'life saver' on the ranch (-- literally!) back during the drought, and it moved here with me. Nearly sold it at an auction, and I'm glad that I didn't. One almost like it went for $11.00 -- and new they are $90. Go figure -- and look for those auctions near you.

So the overcrowded babies end up looking more like this now:
P1060883.JPG

Especially since I put the stick in there for them to climb on, I needed a lid. Took two window screens that blew off in the last big storm that I haven't reinstalled as of yet:
P1060882.JPG

Really pleased with the way that the barring is showing up -- even this early in the little males:
P1060911.JPG

P1060910.JPG

P1060909.JPG

They are so dang cute! :love
And yes, they are going to be seriously barred....CL males tend to really show up their barring as juveniles -- I'm thinking these guys will grow the same way.
Wish I could get these little guys a clean bill of health and distribute 4 or 5 of them out to people who wanted to raise this variety. They are really the prettiest little chicks.
(Not that I have any bias...you know) :gig
Meanwhile -- happy chickening and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there.:frow

Little ones grow up so fast!
Here are the wonder-boys--all 6 in one pet carrier while I clean out their brooder:
P1070024.JPG

P1070027.JPG

used the flash to freeze teh action and get rid of the blurrs---but then there is both the door wires and the shadow of the wires.
P1070029.JPG

Hold still little ones, you are blurring the photo. They sure have big combs...maybe because the brooder was warm warm warm...and they couldn't get real far away?? dunno.
5 1/2 weeks on the oldest two and 4 1/2 weeks on the youngest 4. Pretty little guys IMO. Just love these LPIDs.
Temp yesterday was 29-degrees in the AM -- but there are 6 of them that could huddle together. I wonder if they would be safe enough outdoors. -- Maybe I will give it another week or so -- or maybe put them out in the day and bring them at least indoors at night. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Following this thread. So interesting. I’m taking notes for project breed ideas.
Thanks...it IS interesting. :O) -- Feel free to post any thoughts that your projects lead to.
for some reason, I'm not getting alerts anylonger when new posts come into this thread.
In future, I will try to post the cockerels progress at least once-a-month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom